Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shanghei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
YouMail officially released their iphone app onto the appstore which means tmobile users can signup for a youmail account and use youmail as there voicemail. Then use the YouMail app to check there voicemail.

I personally have been using YouMail for the longest time since it has alot of great features but now that the iphone app is out its 1000 times better.

And its all FREE.

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Note that us FlexPay users can't use this (or any other) 3rd-party voicemail service because conditional call forwarding is disabled. Wish I'd known this before choosing between pre- and post-paid. :(

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
Hmm, looks like a cool app! I've installed it, can't wait to see how it works. *calls my phone from Skype*

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Says I cannot purchase YouMail... on phone or iTunes

That's odd.

I got the e-mail and just installed it earlier today. Seems like a nice enough app. Has the ability to upload contacts to Youmail, if you desire, so that your contacts names can show up in the VM alerts. However, the upload failed midway when I tried it (I'm not on WiFi though).

I started using YouMail when there was the VM upgrade issue with T-Mobile and just kept using it when T-Mobile fixed the issue.

I also dedicated my AOL Mail account, which I was not using at all, to VM's -- so basically it has gigabytes of space for me to leave them be if I wish. :D Otherwise I have it set up to SMS me alerts as well. Works pretty nicely. The app makes it a lot less cumbersome.

shanghei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
That's odd.

I got the e-mail and just installed it earlier today. Seems like a nice enough app. Has the ability to upload contacts to Youmail, if you desire, so that your contacts names can show up in the VM alerts. However, the upload failed midway when I tried it (I'm not on WiFi though).

I started using YouMail when there was the VM upgrade issue with T-Mobile and just kept using it when T-Mobile fixed the issue.

I also dedicated my AOL Mail account, which I was not using at all, to VM's -- so basically it has gigabytes of space for me to leave them be if I wish. :D Otherwise I have it set up to SMS me alerts as well. Works pretty nicely. The app makes it a lot less cumbersome.

The upload of contacts failed for me at first too, gotta try again.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I like the app, and the ability to have custom messages, but I can't get the visual part to work. It just says, "(null) (null)" That's a big help. :rolleyes: Still, being able to select individual messages and not sort through the list by voice is nice. :D

shanghei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I like the app, and the ability to have custom messages, but I can't get the visual part to work. It just says, "(null) (null)" That's a big help. :rolleyes: Still, being able to select individual messages and not sort through the list by voice is nice. :D

"(null) (null)" means there is no first and last name basically no caller id however if a message was left you should be able to press the play button.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The upload of contacts failed for me at first too, gotta try again.

On the second try, it failed at the 86th contact -- I'm pretty sure that's exactly where it failed the first time, too. Hmmm. This second time is with WiFi also. Oh well.

Hopefully they'll continue developing this app and improve on it. It definitely has potential.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Is it possible to get push on tmobile?

I would have thought it would need to go from apple to their carrier(At&t only) to you

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Push works as long as you have an internet connection

Right, I was going to respond to this, but I myself am not completely sure... Apple's push works somewhat differently from Blackberry's push, right? With Blackberry, you can (I think) in principle have a BES that is hosted by anyone, and if you do this, then you have no special need for setup on the part of your phone provider, as far as I understand it -- just a data services connection (actually, FWIW, is this right?) But typically, consumers have BIS, and those are typically run by the provider. So it wasn't even enough to have a T-Mobile account with data services -- it had to be a Blackberry account for my BB features to work. I think it's the same for the Sidekick?

Anyways, though, I think the server in the iPhone's case is owned by Apple (the client-facing server -- the developers need to have their own servers, which push to Apple, which in turn pushes to the iPhone), and so it's the same set of servers (internationally) for all service providers.

This is how I understand it. So, as long as Apple does not do anything to block out non-AT&T users in the US from accessing the servers, the server should work whenever the iPhone has a data connection, even if the data is coming from T-Mobile?

I guess we'll see for sure, soon enough.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Now that 3.0 and push are out, it seems that it at least temporarily doesn't work with T-Mobile, unless I'm misunderstanding ... seems to be another hacktivation issue like Youtube. At least, AP Mobile is set to push for me and doesn't seem to be pushing anything.

shanghei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Now that 3.0 and push are out, it seems that it at least temporarily doesn't work with T-Mobile, unless I'm misunderstanding ... seems to be another hacktivation issue like Youtube. At least, AP Mobile is set to push for me and doesn't seem to be pushing anything.

:(

shanghei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Oh, sorry, I realize I didn't say this clearly. Youmail works fine. Push notification does not. So something will need to be fixed in the unlock/activate process for Push to be supported, assuming Youmail eventually gets it, before it's available for us.

I understood correctly, I have tmobile and the biggest feature for 3.0 I was looking forward to was push notifications.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I understood correctly, I have tmobile and the biggest feature for 3.0 I was looking forward to was push notifications.

In the Youtube case, the consensus seems to be right now that there's no fundamental reason that it shouldn't work, but something has changed about the way Apple does activation and the hackers have to figure out how to replicate it. Hopefully the same is true for Push.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Note that us FlexPay users can't use this (or any other) 3rd-party voicemail service because conditional call forwarding is disabled. Wish I'd known this before choosing between pre- and post-paid. :(

is there ANY way to switch to postpay or whatever??? whats the difference? this really blows :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.