Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One MacRumors reader has discovered an iTunes page that appears to offer the iPhone OS 3.0 software update for iPod touch for download for $9.95. While iTunes permits the transaction to go through and prompts the user to connect their iPod touch to check for updates, iTunes subsequently reports that iPhone OS 2.2.1 is still the current version and does not download iPhone OS 3.0.

175812-ipod_touch_3.0_download_500.png

173101-ipod_touch_3.0_confirm_500.png

Interestingly, the Purchase History displays the purchase as "iPhone 2.0 Software Update" despite the purchase screen having clearly advertised iPhone OS 3.0.

173101-ipod_touch_3.0_history_500.png

iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone and iPod touch is scheduled to launch tomorrow (June 17th) in most of the world. While Apple initially announced that iPhone OS 3.0 would be available on that date for "all customers", within the past few days Apple has updated its iPhone software update pages for Australia, New Zealand, and a number of East Asian countries to reflect that iPhone OS 3.0 will not launch in those countries until the 18th. Differences in time zones, however, mean that those countries may still receive the new operating system at the same time as the rest of the world.

Article Link: iPhone 3.0 Update for iPod Touch Page Appears in iTunes, Not Yet Functional

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Oh they're gettin' ready for Friday! :) I can't wait to get my new iPhone! ( I hope there's not going to be a stupid line like the 3G / original launch )

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I still have NO idea why software updates for the iPod touch are different than for the Apple TV. The official speak from Apple is that the iPod touch is not a subscription device while the Apple TV is, because the Apple TV brings in revenue through movie and TV purchases/rentals.

- You can buy music through the iPod touch
- Now you can buy Movies and TV through the iPod touch
- You can buy apps on the iPod touch, a significant portion of which goes straight to Apple.

I think that just the app/game revenue alone from the iPod touch probably far outweighs the movie rental revenue on the Apple TV, so why are they still using this accounting method that "forces" them to charge for upgrades?

:confused:

gerfuls

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Did anyone else notice that under the description for landscape keyboard it included the "Messages" application? Any explanation?

trevorlsciact

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Orlando FL
I still have NO idea why software updates for the iPod touch are different than for the Apple TV. The official speak from Apple is that the iPod touch is not a subscription device while the Apple TV is, because the Apple TV brings in revenue through movie and TV purchases/rentals.

- You can buy music through the iPod touch
- Now you can buy Movies and TV through the iPod touch
- You can buy apps on the iPod touch, a significant portion of which goes straight to Apple.

I think that just the app/game revenue alone from the iPod touch probably far outweighs the movie rental revenue on the Apple TV, so why are they still using this accounting method that "forces" them to charge for upgrades?

:confused:
Apple has never claimed as far as I know that they have to charge for the iPod touch updates. I have only seen that said from people outside Apple.

sd2009

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2008
Did anyone else notice that under the description for landscape keyboard it included the "Messages" application? Any explanation?
They copied and pasted it from the iPhone copy :D

Apple has never claimed as far as I know that they have to charge for the iPod touch updates. I have only seen that said from people outside Apple.

They said at the announcement of 2.0 :D

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Sms

I assume that's referring to text messages, if i've understood your question correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.