Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal Pineapple

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Some of you music buffs out there might find this story intresting http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52665,00.html

basicly it states that if you cant play a Sony protected CD you should write on the edege of the CD with a felt tip marker, thus makeing the computer skip the security track. you should now be able to copy and rip your music files with ease. enjoy:D .
-royal

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I prefer a fine point Sharpie over a Magic Marker, but that's just my preference. ;) Now if I only had a Sony protected CD!

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
there was also a reg article about this a couple weeks ago

my englrish teacher told me that people use to run green marker around the edges of the CD and claim that they got superior sound quality...go figure eh?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The best protection for me...

would be to just make Celine Dion CDs. It wouldn't get near my house, let alone my CD Writer. As long as they just use it on artists like her I don't care if the CDs turn into a buzz saw and rip your CD rom to bits :)

I'm disappointed about the "More fast as furious" album though, I mean the score should have been on the original sound track not just all the flavour of the month nu metal bands. I suppose if I can draw go faster stripes on the edge of the CD and rip it that way it will be fine. I tend to buy CDs, rip them to MP3 and then shove all my CD collection in boxes out of the way. Saves getting them scratched or anything if I there's an album I listen to a lot.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
fast and the ....

I beleve that the score from the fast and the... was put out on a separate CD... or at least I downloaded them as mp3's that were grouped by the soundtrack and the score. It wasnt that good. I never saw the movie ether.

I heard about the marker hack a few weeks ago. HAHAHAHAHAH! I love it! I hope this helps prove to the Fed. Gov. that a standard Gov. enforced copy protection sceem will not work and will only inhibit consumers from using products they way they want. While they know that they will never stop hacking, This kind of protection wont stop even main stream hacking.

-evildead

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Choppaface
my englrish teacher told me that people use to run green marker around the edges of the CD and claim that they got superior sound quality...go figure eh?

Send your teacher here on the green marker theory-- lots of technical reasons it doesn't work-- it's an old UL...

I've heard the black marker fixes copy protected CD's... i knew the copy protection would be hacked fast, but i didn't think it would be something so simple! I can't say i have any simpathy for the CD industry on this one-- they were trying to screw consumers over...

:)
pnw

palala

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2002
Long Island
Interesting

Originally posted by Choppaface
there was also a reg article about this a couple weeks ago

Ha! I never heard of the green marker thing, but it could kinda make sense. Green is the color in the spectrum with the biggest range, and largest contrast (that is why things like the image from night vision goggles are green, improved contrast in that instance gives a more usable image). So I could see using a green marker to give the pits more contrast, so the laser would better pick up the data, fewer errors, or missed bits means better sound quality. I would think that you would have to color the whole CD though, or the back of it.
...and as for defeating the high tech Sony copy protection with a marker...Spectacular!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.