Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Hi,

A brief question to iPod touch 1st generation owners: are you upgrading or not?

I'm just wondering whether it'd be worth upgrading my iPod (1st generation). I running 2.2.1. Not needing copy/paste much. No bluetooth in the iPod. I'm not downloading movies on my iPod.

The only thing I'd love to have: open new Safari windows in the background - that is, I click on a link in iPod's Safari, and the page is loaded in a different window... But that's not in 3.0, is it?

Pit

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I've "aquired" the GM release of 3.0 (means no need to be devleoper to use 3.0 :D). I've not used safari yet but I can tell you whats new:

sign in to youtube via youtube app and view your videos, subscriptions etc
login and out of the app store and change what email you login with
streetview in maps plus improved maps UI
spotlight search
copy, paste and cut
download videos and podcasts via store
landscape keyboard
stocks has an improved ui

there is more of a proper review here: http://www.hara.ipwn.me/blog/?p=246

but overall I personally am not seeing much difference from being on 2.2.1, check your PM's aswell ;)

grafix

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
The biggest thing I have noticed in the update is it seems faster and less likely to bog down in emails and some other areas. Everything seems to load quicker. I could be imagining it too. I like the upgrade overall as there are subtle things that are different and just make the overall user experience better.

Oh yes, I used cut and paste to copy an address from Safari and paste it into Maps and it worked like a charm. No more having to try to remember or write things down for going between apps.

Lizard Tree

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Atlanta
I will

If only because I generally find two things:
1. Often the new code has undocumented tweaks and bug fixes and runs smoother; and
2. Sooner or later you'll need to anyway because newer programs and apps may not work on older OS versions.
I'm not one to complain about $10 for an upgrade. Yes, I'd like it to be free for us early adopters, especially in light of the fact that the newer Touches cost less than what I paid for my 1G. However, at some point, my 1G will go to my son and I'll buy a 3G (or 4G) or iPhone and I'll let him complain about the cost.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
lizard tree I'm sure googling the correct wording you could update for free lol

from what I have been reading also the GM build for developers is no different to the final release both are build 7A341 of 3.0

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I'm glad somebody else posted this.

I'm really debating about this myself. The issue for me is I find it painful to spend 10 bucks on this when I will almost without a doubt be purchasing the new ipod touch (whenever it comes out). I'm not generally the type of person who says "I'll wait 10 months for the new version", however I've already spent 10 bucks on the previous software update and it really pains my "cheap-ass-bone" to spend another 20 on something that I'll be replacing asap. The first software update was different, because I knew I'd be keeping my 1st gen ipt past the second generation being released. But now, I'm fairly certain i'll be upgrading to gen 3.

The things like copy/paste/etc will be nice, but it pains me to know that lots of the big features (at least those that matter to me, like video recording, etc) are basically non-issues for me.

We'll see!

(btw, I haven't been keeping track - is there any generally accepted time table for the gen 3 ipod touch release?)

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i have a 1g and i'm on 3.0. would i have paid $10 for it? most likely yes but i'd be kinda pissed. it's not worth $10, more like $5. now for the iPod Touch 2g i'd say it's worth $10 but not the 1g

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
i have a 1g and i'm on 3.0. would i have paid $10 for it? most likely yes but i'd be kinda pissed. it's not worth $10, more like $5. now for the iPod Touch 2g i'd say it's worth $10 but not the 1g

I have an iPT 1G and I'm on 3.0 GM ( legally - I'm not implying anyone in this thread has upgraded to 3.0 illegally ) and I'd say it would definitely be worth the $10...copy/paste, landscape keyboard, spotlight search to name the things I use the most. Each one is easily worth $3.33. :eek: Plus eventually push notifications for AIM will make it worth it...and there will be apps that will not work without 3.0, that you may want. Probably a lot of 3rd party peripherals, this is where the game controller hardware add-on will happen, because now apps have access to the dock connector.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I've got 3.0 on a 2nd gen Touch and a 1st gen Touch. While the improvements you get on a 2nd gen are IMO well worth $10, I'm not convinced they are worth even $1 for a first gen. No bluetooth. No voice recorder app (although you'll need a mic to make it work on the 2nd gen).

4D

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the encouragement. I was going to update at lunch, but it became a shorter lunch than I had planned. I'm on the 1G, but I've had it less than a year (clearance purchase), so there won't be an upgrade for me for a while.

jrock2004

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
PA
To get back on track I just got the new s/w thru iTunes and it is worth it. I like that I no longer have to open an app to get my WiFi to connect. I like the spotlight that when you type something it search everything. You can even type an app name and it will come up. So if you have a lot of apps it would be great. I like that you can sign into youtube and see your favorites. You can add to your favorites and on my youtube page viewed thru my computer I see that favorite.

It's $10.00. Yes I wish iPod 2nd Gen, but I don't. I say upgrade.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I have a 1st gen touch that I haven't been using since I got my iPhone. I gave it to my wife and today she upgraded from 1.1.5 -> 3.0. No problem. However, every app that I install from itunes will not run. Splash screens start but the apps quit. I've tried 4 different ones. Anyone else see this or have ideas? Right now I am erasing/resetting the entire touch and going to re-synch everything.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Two reasons why I would

1. I've been having problems with wireless dropouts since 2.2.1. I would hope this fixes it.
2. Apps are going to start requiring it.

I'm not looking forward to paying it, but it will be necessary at some point.

Poogis

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
London, UK
I refused to pay for the first update for my 1st generation 16gb iPod touch and my patience paid off. The second update (2.2 I think) was released for less than half the price.

However, I flatly refuse to pay £5.99 for 3.0 so I found a good website and installed the GM. All good and still glad I didn't pay as it hardly adds anything that you'd notice. The only good thing I found useful is the scrubbing options for audio, but surely that should've been there from the start.

Cut and paste? Not worth £5.99.

I'm not disputing 'a' charge, but 'the' charge. It seems that if we want certain apps in the future then we have to come up with the OS charge first.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
i couldn't give a toss about the charge personally. and personally the upgrade does zero for me. but i'll be up grading because -

a) apps will more and more be only 3.0 compatible and i dont want to be left behind and uncompatible
b) it's always nice to be as up to date as possible.

i'm not on a JB system, so i have to pay, but as i say, doesn't bother me. letting a charge wind me up is just bad kama.

Poogis

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
London, UK
i couldn't give a toss about the charge personally. and personally the upgrade does zero for me. but i'll be up grading because -

a) apps will more and more be only 3.0 compatible and i dont want to be left behind and uncompatible
b) it's always nice to be as up to date as possible.

i'm not on a JB system, so i have to pay, but as i say, doesn't bother me. letting a charge wind me up is just bad kama.

Mine wasn't jailbroken either. I am now up-to-date with 3.0, fully compatible and completely unwound!

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Call me stoopid...

but i cant understand how apple would just have "paid-for" software just knocking about on their servers? unless its some subtle apology for having to charge for it, by having it as a totally unsecured download available for the well informed?

Still, good to know!

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
the software is always there regardless, was the same when they introduced the previous paid for updates you just check the iTunes version checker xml file and you can easily get a direct link to the latest IPSW file.

and personally I think gps and at a stretch a camera for me are pointless in a touch cause hey who doesn't have a touch and a mobile phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.