Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Okay, this app really needs to happen. While the iPhone optimized version of the site is better -- imagine what could be created when you take it a step further!

This is something I just whipped up in Photoshop (sorry, I'm not THAT good at programming). But tell me what you think!

20090617-ecq7qg22pquut1hgqe8k85wunu.jpg
20090617-itgc8xs7g28c8ryk48pci68i6.jpg

20090617-gipdsu82spd17af6ahpw2din1y.jpg
20090617-wthbbcw7grtca6jepnesdk1g4.jpg

20090617-xn25swjmyken2sp8ndk7bcxh58.jpg

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, this app really needs to happen. While the iPhone optimized version of the site is better -- imagine what could be created when you take it a step further!

This is something I just whipped up in Photoshop (sorry, I'm not THAT good at programming). But tell me what you think!

Nice job. :cool:

That's pretty much the kind of thing I've been hoping for.....

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I have two differing opinions on this:

1) As a forum primarily about Apple & Apple products, an App for the Touch & iPhone is in our interests and provides the members with a unique level of support.

2) I have concerns that with Apple being the one and only one to approve (legitimate/non jailbreaked) apps, the availability of the app could be compromised should Apple feel the need to "censor" the content we have on this site. Apple is not immune to taking such acts, and it would be for Arn & probably the senior mods to decide if they want to be exposed to these types of issues, above what already happens in the odd case where content has been removed at the request of lawyers.

Although it may not be perfect, nor cool, I would rather we place effort & emphasis on a more feature rich mobile version of the site, where Arn need not (long term) rely on any individual (programmer) or company (Apple) to ensure that the (mobile) content of MacRumors is presented in an optimal format to the community at large.

I couldn't see the images that anti-microsoft posted originally, the basic screenshots that ziggyonice posted are quite appealing, but the approval process is not. I think we could provide content for mobile.macrumors.com that functions in the same basic way but without needing Apple to approve publication each time.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Nice job. :cool:

That's pretty much the kind of thing I've been hoping for.....

I added an additional image. Not really sure how the forums would look *exactly*, but working on that as well. :)

Okay, added an image for what the forum could look like. Also added a push notification image.
Although a lot of this would technically be quite difficult to achieve, I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Outstanding job.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Okay, added an image for what the forum could look like. Also added a push notification image.
Although a lot of this would technically be quite difficult to achieve, I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

Dreaming it is. Simple usability enhancements requests like the ability to pause the spy stream instead of accidently clicking 10 freakin' times on the wrong thread have gone unheard and you want them to implement a push server?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Nice screenshots ziggyonice.

As an iPhone developer myself, the app is technically doable but would require quite a lot of work to have the forums integrated with the iPhone. You'd basically have to write a lot of server-side code to pass off the data to the iPhone in a easy to read format (XML), and to provide a way to allow users to sign in (basically cookie-based like the browser). The front-page part would be easy, along with forum spy.

But I think jbernie makes a good point. It might be better to focus on the mobile version of the sites instead, which is far easier to do than an entire Cocoa Touch UI and custom server backend :)

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia

<snip>

These are awesome and I would love to see a MR application. Even if Apple wouldn’t approve such an app, there could be an optimized version such as TUAW [gulp]. If you got i.tuaw.com on your iPhone it has a special version just for the iPhone. Although I know there is one already for MR, the problem is you have to switch back and fourth between the versions when your using it on a computer versus the iphone.

Peer.P

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
good ol' Bavaria in Germany
App for MacRumors?

Hi folks,

i was wondering, whether there is an app to read the news on Macrumors.com. I do not mean a RSS-thing, but a special app.

Why can't somebody just make one?

Thanks a lot
Peer

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Hi folks,

i was wondering, whether there is an app to read the news on Macrumors.com. I do not mean a RSS-thing, but a special app.

Thanks a lot
Peer

No there isn't. Any it can't "Just be made" because it'd be rather complex to get it to work with the complexity of MR.com This has been asked MANY times. Check the site feedback section.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
There isn't an app out. Just set the site to the iPhone friendly setting at the bottom of any forum page.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hi folks,

Thanks a lot
Peer

There's already a thread on the topic. I've merged yours with it.
Please search next time.

Thanks!

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Dreaming it is. Simple usability enhancements requests like the ability to pause the spy stream instead of accidently clicking 10 freakin' times on the wrong thread have gone unheard and you want them to implement a push server?

Haha, Photoshop is meant to work miracles, right? :)

As an iPhone developer myself, the app is technically doable but would require quite a lot of work to have the forums integrated with the iPhone.

I'm going to agree, though -- the best option (and most realistic) is a web app. As cool as an actual App would be, I just don't see how it'd be technically feasible.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I certainly like the idea, so I'll have a go at it. I can certainly get the news section done quickly, but interfacing with the forums (vBulletin) might be tricky. I'll look in to it.

I'll let you know when I've got something to say/show. In the mean time, anyone else who wants to have a go, do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.