Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2009
Hi, looking on the Apple education store online, the discounts seem to be around 8%. Yet I went into the Apple Store yesterday, and the concierge there told me that it was 14%? I didn't realise at the time; but now I'm confused...

I'm starting University in October, and I was told that I can either:

A) Buy now with the regular discount, and get the iPod rebate,

or

B) Wait until I start University, and get a bit more money off, but not get the iPod in the offer (Since I start after the offer ends).

:confused:

ID_Field_Blank

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
If you are able to log in through your education establishment ie University network then you can get a discount of between 14 and 15%. If you can't log in through the network because you haven't got there/started yet then you need to decide whether you want a free ipod? or more money off the computer.

BouncinDave

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
UK
I got university discount before I started.

I basically told them that I was joining uni, and they said OK just show them the letter if they ask.

MacScoob

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
How does the Yougo account discount work then? Can you go to apple store via their website?

Basically when you log into yougo theres a link at the side saying 13% off all apple products. You click it an it directs you to the apple sore and everything automatically has 13% off

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
It depends on the University you go to. I got about 15% off mine I think, using the Higher Education discount which I guess you would be entitled to.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Abuot 14-16% when I checked for HE. Note that there are some great deals - Applecare for a Mac for £50-60 is much better than normal, and also beats the ADC student account price. For some orders, using the HE will give you a better deal than the ADC 1 off discount (and also with HE if you buy now, you're eligble for the iPod rebate). I'd get a letter of confirmation from the uni, then try ordering before september if you want to order sooner.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2009
I'm really confused now.

The concierge told me that 9 times out of 10, the University discount is the same as the regular student discount (I thought it was more).

I chatted to someone on the online store just now, and they gave me a link to a page which had the university prices on - which were about £105 cheaper than the regular student discount prices.

The link she gave me was to the page with 15% discounts on, rather than the 8% ones on the regular education store page.

So she said that I could either do it online, by phone and get that discount, or take a copy of that site to the apple store and do it there.

So that all makes sense now.

However- she also said something about free Applecare for students... What's this about?

Thanks.

shaynparker

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I'm really confused now.

The concierge told me that 9 times out of 10, the University discount is the same as the regular student discount (I thought it was more).

I chatted to someone on the online store just now, and they gave me a link to a page which had the university prices on - which were about £105 cheaper than the regular student discount prices.

The link she gave me was to the page with 15% discounts on, rather than the 8% ones on the regular education store page.

So she said that I could either do it online, by phone and get that discount, or take a copy of that site to the apple store and do it there.

However- she also said something about free Applecare for students... What's this about?

Thanks.

could you e'mail me the link if possible as I am still waiting for my uni letter and want to buy the macbook pro asap.

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
I'm really confused now.

Thanks.

The concierge are talking rubbish! The HE discount is much larger than the normal discount that anybody can access through the apple store website.

For example I believe the white macbook is quoted as about £706 on the student website but if you go through the HE website (or through your university's login), then it's £644.

The discount you will receive is university dependent and some give you better discounts than others- when I bought my UMB and ACD the guy in the apple store got out a binder with all the discounts for each university in the country, but I believe they are roughly 13-15% off.

Definitely buy through the HE website or in store if you want the best discount, they all come with 3 years warranty but I believe the applecare by phone is the normal 90 days. Still, buy the applecare at time of purchase and it's only £46 anyway :)

Just a further point, when I purchased mine I had to give my student ID and he photocopied it and checked it against the database, so be prepared for checks in case you are trying to get in on the act!

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2009
Thanks all.

To find your University's Apple Store page without being on the University Campus, simply visit:

http://www.apple.com/uk/go/save/

Select your University, and it'll give you the better discounts. It's worth doing it this way as some Universities get even more money off.

danharper

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
The concierge are talking rubbish! The HE discount is much larger than the normal discount that anybody can access through the apple store website.

For example I believe the white macbook is quoted as about £706 on the student website but if you go through the HE website (or through your university's login), then it's £644.

The discount you will receive is university dependent and some give you better discounts than others- when I bought my UMB and ACD the guy in the apple store got out a binder with all the discounts for each university in the country, but I believe they are roughly 13-15% off.

Definitely buy through the HE website or in store if you want the best discount, they all come with 3 years warranty but I believe the applecare by phone is the normal 90 days. Still, buy the applecare at time of purchase and it's only £46 anyway :)

Just a further point, when I purchased mine I had to give my student ID and he photocopied it and checked it against the database, so be prepared for checks in case you are trying to get in on the act!

3 years warranty? Do you have a link where the site says that?

How do you get AppleCare for £46? I'm accessing the HE store (with the highest discount %), and the AppleCare for the 13" MBP is £154.

Does anyone know if I can get the same discount if I buy in-store? I'm not yet in University, so don't have a student ID, but I am joining in October so have all sorts of Uni & UCAS letters?

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2009
3 years warranty? Do you have a link where the site says that?

How do you get AppleCare for £46? I'm accessing the HE store (with the highest discount %), and the AppleCare for the 13" MBP is £154.

Does anyone know if I can get the same discount if I buy in-store? I'm not yet in University, so don't have a student ID, but I am joining in October so have all sorts of Uni & UCAS letters?

I don't know where it says anything about three years warranty, that's just under AppleCare protection.

The price you're seeing for AppleCare is just on the standard higher education site, rather than a university-specific one. Take a look at the link I posted earlier to find your university, that'll give you the far cheaper prices.

danharper

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
The store I'm accessing lists the 13" MBP (base model) at £772.80. I don't see a discounted AppleCare.

Just to confirm, is that the price you see the MBP at?

danharper

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Ah, found it!

For anyone else who can't find the HE AppleCare discount, you have to add the AppleCare package at the bottom of the 'Build to Order' screen (where you can upgrade RAM, HDD etc.) :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I'd call them up on the phone once you have your acceptance letter - then you can get the full student discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.