Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
No problem. I have never seen a demo with an actual time limit on it. (24 Hours)

Man... Valve is stingy!

Another side note. The Air has to be plugged in to use ATItool. It will not overclock without power.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
FYI. I have noticed large frame drops at times with Left 4 Dead (15 FPS at times) It bounces back, but I am not sure if it is a heat issue or a 9400 limitation.

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Any Warhammer, WOW?

I spent about 2 hours running Warhammer last night. This is in Windows XP, now using the latest 180.44 drivers, playing at 1280x800 resolution.

Running around in Altdorf (known to cause problems for some), I had no issues. I was running in Balanced mode, fps was around 25-40, I'd say on average it was fairly stable around 30. Game looked great!

Later I pretty much just played "normally". Ran around, killed mobs, etc. Stayed pretty much on target in the 30fps range. Some times I'd get a little stuttering with special effects or new areas loading in, but nothing abnormal.

Key responsiveness was fine. I have a set sequence when farming groups of 3-4 mobs at a time, and it's critical that the timing is correct or I'll be toast. I had no problems with this at all, so that was definitely good news.

I also q'd up for some scenarios. Here's where I had more stuttering. I was able to play through but it was a struggle/slideshow at some points. Particularly when too many graphics effects on screen at once. I switched to Fastest Framerate mode and had some improvement. I should mention though that even my decked out desktop will have problems on some occasions, so this is not a shock.

All in all - the game is definitely playable. With some tweaks I can probably get better performance. I don't expect to be running this in big open RvR/keep battles, as I suspect that will certainly be a limitation. For soloing, general grouping, and even scenarios, the game is playable for me. YMMV.

hotviper

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
thanks to you people

hello before buying the air, i only do light office application task and the only game i played most was warcraft 3 (dota) with friends. i was a windows user before by the way.
looking at the air-2's specs, i was sure that it will play my favorite game.

i just got the air 2nd gen. last week. with ssd and installed warcraft 3. knowing this is an old game, it will surely run without issue. but i was disappointed because its so laggy, i installed windows through boot camp and i can get a good performance at first until it will lag. especially when there are many characters moving on screen. i suspected its the processor , automatically slowing down as heat rises. or could be the video card which as what steve jobs said, is lowered because of heat. my cousin has a aluminum macbook which he bought together as i bought this mba and as we tested. warcraft worked great on his system without issue. i was so so disappointed with this system and opt to buy a dell xps.

until i found this thread. i want to thank you people for posting your experience with the games and what you did to get a decent performance because i see hope in this one, good work guys.

i am planning to do what you did but before rebooting to windows, i sign up just to thank you. i've been a macrumor reader but it is only now that ive sign up. :)

@MAVEN1975
pls give a little tutorial how to set up rm clock to 1.86ghz
im already done with driver update and 3d performance of atitool

Molopo

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
hello before buying the air, i only do light office application task and the only game i played most was warcraft 3 (dota) with friends. i was a windows user before by the way.
looking at the air-2's specs, i was sure that it will play my favorite game.

i just got the air 2nd gen. last week. with ssd and installed warcraft 3. knowing this is an old game, it will surely run without issue. but i was disappointed because its so laggy, i installed windows through boot camp and i can get a good performance at first until it will lag. especially when there are many characters moving on screen. i suspected its the processor , automatically slowing down as heat rises. or could be the video card which as what steve jobs said, is lowered because of heat. my cousin has a aluminum macbook which he bought together as i bought this mba and as we tested. warcraft worked great on his system without issue. i was so so disappointed with this system and opt to buy a dell xps.

until i found this thread. i want to thank you people for posting your experience with the games and what you did to get a decent performance because i see hope in this one, good work guys.

i am planning to do what you did but before rebooting to windows, i sign up just to thank you. i've been a macrumor reader but it is only now that ive sign up. :)

@MAVEN1975
pls give a little tutorial how to set up rm clock to 1.86ghz
im already done with driver update and 3d performance of atitool

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how that could be possible. My crappy windows laptop with the intel x3100 can even run WC3 with absolutely no issues...Maybe you have the rev. A?

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
In Windows XP:

All Paradox games (EU3, etc.)
All AGEod games (Birth of America, etc.)
Civ IV
Civ IV: Colonization
Mount & Blade

hotviper

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
nope, i have the late 2008 MBA with the nvidia chipset, my wc3 in windows will play but will lag before, i already did manage to set my cpu clock to always 1.86 and satisfied with the performance, though the heat rises to as high as 95 as what rm cpu utility registered

6SSD4

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Can 1.8GHz 64GB SSD play Counter Strike:Condition Zero? Or Counter Strike:Source?

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Computer : 1.8 / rev B / SSD

I tried lego indiana jones (demo) on the mac platform today, and it seized.
So I guess that dont work.

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
1.8 / rev B / SSD ran on bootcamp

I am using Dox's 180.70 optimized driver set.

Been able to run Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock at 1280X800 on low details (very playable).

Able to run Madden 2008 at 1900X1200 (LED ACD) without problems.

Left 4 Dead 1280X800 with sporadic slowdowns.

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
I'm playing UT 2004 on my new/refurb Rev A HDD. It runs, well. Not good, well :)

:apple::eek: i love my air :eek::apple:

turugara

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
I have the MBA Rev. A 1.8ghz and mine runs WC3-TFT with absolutely no problems. I can't imagine that your Rev. B won't be able to run it.
Note: I do use coolbook and I have Tuniq TX-2 Thermal paste applied.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Anyone try Left 4 Dead on a Rev C SSD yet?

1280x800 @ all med works perfectly.

Also tried CoD: WaW, CoD4, GTA4, Civ 4 all expansions including colonization, Sins of a Solar Empire w/ expansion, Star Wars Empires at War, all runs nicely when configured properly

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Post more updates here, esp Rev C adopters

Does Counter-Strike Source run on it?

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
My stress tests came back with 80+ fps for CS:S @ 1280x800 and All "Very High" or "High" settings. CS:S is a very non intensive game

Thank you so much. Haha, this could be the decider for me getting a MBA as I would like the portability but the power to play source games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.