Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

videboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Connecticut
I updated to 3.0 yesterday, but I do not see any option to turn on the push notifications in my settings. Is there something I am missing? I have seen screen shots where people have a "notifications" option in their settings, but I have nothing.

photo-6.jpg

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
You need to install an app that has push notifications, like AP News, TextFree, Tap Tap Revenge 2, etc.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
To be honest, I found this very confusing... Here's an example.

- Upgrade to 3.0. No Push Notifications option.

- Install AP Mobile. It tells me with a pop-up that it's notifications could include badges, sounds, etc, but it has no options, either in its settings or in its entry in the apps section of the iPhone settings, that relate to push, nor does it ask me if I want push.

- Nonetheless, installing AP Mobile turned push on. Great? Not quite.

- It didn't turn push on for AP Mobile, which was defaulted to having all three kinds of notifications turned off. So now that has to be turned on manually, now in a third set of separate settings (besides the ones in the app itself and the ones in the AP Mobile entry in Settings, now there's a Settings -> Push -> AP Mobile set of settings also).

Honestly, this isn't the most intuitive system Apple has ever designed....

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
It's actually quite horrible. Took me a long while to figure out with a friend, and finally got it to work with "Hey Where Are You".

Basically the Push setting doesn't existing under iPhone Settings until you install at least "one" apps that has push notification enabled. Once you do, you must run the app at least once, and there will be a pop-up asking if you wish to enable push notification.

Then you can go back into iPhone settings and tweak around which type of push notification you like to receive.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
It looks like some apps do not require any response from the user.

I have the ABC News app installed. I work nights and upon waking up my ABC News app icon/badge had a "2" on it. Opened it up and under breaking news was a story about the Continental Pilot that died today and some about Obama that I quickly tuned out.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
So basically you're telling me you want a spot in the settings for push notifications, even if you don't have any apps that do push yet. What's the point, just to look at it?

It sounds like some of you are from a Windows platform, in which you have to configure your settings before using programs. That's not the case, just install a program and if it uses push, it will ask you yes or no, simply answer yes and then you have push.

Stop making it overly complicated.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's actually quite horrible. Took me a long while to figure out with a friend, and finally got it to work with "Hey Where Are You".

Basically the Push setting doesn't existing under iPhone Settings until you install at least "one" apps that has push notification enabled. Once you do, you must run the app at least once, and there will be a pop-up asking if you wish to enable push notification.

Then you can go back into iPhone settings and tweak around which type of push notification you like to receive.

So you want the ability to turn push notifications on/off even when there's no app to use it? Genius!

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
are you guys all 5 years old. its really not that tough. and the funny part is i guarantee apple had a team of 50 people to research how to implement this and you guys still complain

crisg

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
are you guys all 5 years old. its really not that tough. and the funny part is i guarantee apple had a team of 50 people to research how to implement this and you guys still complain

I think they're just trying to say its not intuitive... the way apple products
tend to be.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

- Install AP Mobile. It tells me with a pop-up that it's notifications could include badges, sounds, etc, but it has no options, either in its settings or in its entry in the apps section of the iPhone settings, that relate to push, nor does it ask me if I want push.

- It didn't turn push on for AP Mobile, which was defaulted to having all three kinds of notifications turned off. So now that has to be turned on manually, now in a third set of separate settings (besides the ones in the app itself and the ones in the AP Mobile entry in Settings, now there's a Settings -> Push -> AP Mobile set of settings also).

did you ever consider that maybe AP Mobile is coded to default to off?
Tap Tap had the push notifications turned on as soon as I launched it

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009

I just downloaded AP Mobile, and clicked Allow when a pop-up asked me if I wanted to accept push notifications. When I went to Settings then, a Notifications button was directly underneath Wi-Fi. The AP settings were turned to ON already.

Pretty easy to me.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
GD-it, people. Spent about a year whining about this and there just is no pleasing some.

Both AP Mobile and TTR support them and asked me when I opened the versions compatible with 3.0. Now when I click settings, the THIRD item down is "Notifications." Go to the next menu and it lists the apps you have installed (and used I assume) that support it. There are three options: badges, sounds, and I think alerts/messages (I'm doing the dreaded 18-hour "backing up iPhone).

As Carlos Mencia would say, dee dee dee!

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Kids, the complaint is the fact that Push Notification setting is not very intuitive. If this was a Zune, it would be expected and none of us would be complaining.

Try and get the AP or Tap Tap to work with Push Notification. Neither of them is testable, and I have yet to receive notification from AP.

"Hey Where Are You" is the only free app that you can really test it with your friends, and the app itself isn't very intuitive either.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Kids, the complaint is the fact that Push Notification setting is not very intuitive. If this was a Zune, it would be expected and none of us would be complaining.

Try and get the AP or Tap Tap to work with Push Notification. Neither of them is testable, and I have yet to receive notification from AP.

"Hey Where Are You" is the only free app that you can really test it with your friends, and the app itself isn't very intuitive either.

Get over it. How is it hard at all?

RandomPuppy

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
AP Mobile push notifications seems to be regional

Hi. I thought I could chime in on some stuff here.

shortly, as the title suggest, the push notifications works / don't works on regional levels.

My testing:
1) download AP Mobile and install it
2) in settings > ap mobile > region choose United States English
3) launch ap mobile app and enter a zip code, i.e. for New York. Let the app update headlines and then exit the app
4) go to settings > push notifications > ap mobile and you can choose what kind of notifications you want.

So this work fine.

Now, if you retake step 2-4 and instead choose Europe as region, then step 4 will show that AP Mobile displays "off" and you have no options to shows what kind of notifications there should be.

I have not tested the other regions but this test shows that Europe is "not ready" for push notifications yet. My guess is that the people coding the AP Mobile priorities USA for it's launch and later on, also enable push notifications to the rest of the world.

Can someone else test my scenario to see if there are other people out there with this "feature" ?

shrewd

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Shrewsbury, England
As a novice, I would appreciate somebody explaining to me what is meant by the term 'push'.

As in push email and push notifications. I have heard them said a lot but have no idea what it means/does. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.