Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolsenior09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
My guess is that Macbook does NOT come with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc??

How do I go about having this on my new mac? I'm buying a white Macbook on Monday.. just wanted to know how I can get the programs on it. Thanks.

bradleydavid53

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
nope.. You have to buy microsoft office 2008 with mac capabilities..

i just purchased 13 MBP and had to buy the cd:apple:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
No, they do not come with your computer
You will have to buy them separately and install them

You can get Office 2004 or 2008 for the Mac
Or you can run the Windows versions with Boot Camp or Fusion/Parallels

Or... you can download Open Office or Neo Office for free
Or... you can purchase iWork

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
They don't come installed, but you can get office for the mac.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Edit you will get on the machine

* Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
* iLife ’09 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, iDVD)

Don't know what trial apps apple is loading these days

---

Look at MS Office Home/Student Edition it is $135 -- can test out with a free trial

Another alternative is Apple's iWork for $99 -- can test out with a free trial

---

Or a freeOffice variant like NeoOffice -- it is free if you are cheap or beerware cost

---

You should get a copy of iWork and MS Office trials to see which one will work best ... iWork isn't too bad, but you will need to learn to export the files when sending them to Windows users either as a pdf or word file.

coolsenior09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Cool. Thanks.

So does anyone have iWork? Is it a lot different than Microsoft Word? I'm really use to Microsoft, so I don't know... any thoughtS?
Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Cool. Thanks.

So does anyone have iWork? Is it a lot different than Microsoft Word? I'm really use to Microsoft, so I don't know... any thoughtS?
Thanks
iWork is nice for the home but you run into problems if you're going to want all of Office's features and be compatible.

People run into problems with change tracking frequently and might be better off getting just plain old Office.

Keynote is nice to show off SPINNAN CUBES though. People are easily amused by that transition.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Strict Office compatibility with Windows = run the Windows version (Boot Camp/Parallels/Fusion)

Mild Office compatibility with Windows = Office 2008 or 2004 for Mac
Just understand they are not the same as the Windows versions
[VBA not supported, Excel issues, formatting issues, etc.]

Office-like features with mild compatibility = Open Office or Neo Office (both free)

Mac interface for Word Processing/Spreadsheets/Presentation = iWork
iWork will work with Office files both ways, but there will be challenges

Guide: Comparison of iWork and Microsoft Office

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't think you can. I'll have to tell my brother about that. He's wanted Office for his Mac for some time.

You can get it cheaper if your employer has a site license for the software. Office 2004 cost me about £16. I have to delete it from my MacBook when my employment ends.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You can get it cheaper if your employer has a site license for the software. Office 2004 cost me about £16. I have to delete it from my MacBook when my employment ends.
My old site license got me Office 2008 for free. :rolleyes:

Not many people are as lucky as we are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.