Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sc00ter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
In a house
Tried everything from archive and install (wouldn't read disk2 until the 9th try and ended up with 9 system folders). Then tried an Erase and Install. Still it refuses to boot. Get's hung up at the blue screen. Will only boot in safe mode. Now for the last few days even the startup chime is missing. Tried PRAM and NVRAM resets. no help. Won't boot from DiskWarrior boot disk either. Just hangs

iMac Specs:

Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.5f1
Serial Number: QP52604RSDU
Sales Order Number: Z0BY0000C

Generation 2...................................................

ATA Bus:

MATSHITACD-RW CW-8124:

Capacity: 737.16 MB
Model: MATSHITACD-RW CW-8124
Revision: DA0D
Serial Number:
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk1
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
Mac OS X Install Disc 1:
Capacity: 641.88 MB
Available: 9.09 MB
Media Type: CD-RW
Writable: No
File System: HFS+
BSD Name: disk1s1s2
Mount Point: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Now is a great time to invest in an Intel Mac... :rolleyes:
Judging by the fact that you can still boot into safe mode, and OS reinstalls don't fix the problem, I would say that one of the semi-critical peripherals has failed and breaks the boot sequence. Sadly, this may require a replacement of the logic board.

Sc00ter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
In a house
Now is a great time to invest in an Intel Mac... :rolleyes:
Judging by the fact that you can still boot into safe mode, and OS reinstalls don't fix the problem, I would say that one of the semi-critical peripherals has failed and breaks the boot sequence. Sadly, this may require a replacement of the logic board.

Yeah....OUCH. Someone mentioned bad capacitors. She tells me that they look swollen and cracked. Some she says, appear to be leaking. I'm unsure. I know that many are fixed in place and insulated by a wax. Others have said that the Video Card that was used in that model was not the best choice they could have made, and may be causing the problem.
I'm Baffled. Gimme my PowerMac. I cobble together parts and HAL runs great. Using a DELL monitor right now. It was $5.00 at a garage sale. plugged it in and I'm back up. Hahahahaha

Sc00ter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
In a house
Good News

Damn I LOVE Apple:
Turns out that Apple knew there was a problem with the motherboards on her model. They had a repair program that expired last year. She phoned Apple in California. Since we've owned and operated our own Print Shops for near 30 years and have purchased and "Registered" many Macs for our business, Apple had us on file and knew about us. Yes the repair program is over.
BUT>>>>> In recognition of our many purchases and loyalty to Apple over the past 20+ years, starting with our Classic II, thru our Performa's, the iMacs and PowerMacs, They are going to refurb her iMac for Free. Bring everything up to factory new shape. She has an Appointment at the Apple Store in Jacksonville on Sunday at 1:30, AND a repair order number direct from Cupertino. Not just the Motherboard problem but they will replace anything that they find not up to factory spec.
I guess after spending 10 thousand dollars plus, on Apple computers and periferals and software has payed off. Hahaha

5c00t

wgoodman

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
Had the same problem, but I figured it out...

I had the same problem. I booted up in safe mode and clicked on accounts and went to startup items. I took out most everything. I then restarted and it worked. Turns out there was software not compatible with 10.5 in the start up items and it caused it to not boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.