Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petemwah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Below is a list of all voice commands currently published for the iPhone 3G S. If anyone finds any others which aren't on this list then do post them and I'll update this thread accordingly. Props to kenbrinkman for the below image.

To access the voice control feature hold down your home button or the middle button on your headset until the voice control feature comes up (about 2 seconds) or if you're not looking at your screen then hold it down until the BEEP BEEP comes!

Voice command lists: English | Japanese

picture1yig.png

COMMANDS NOT ON THE OFFICIAL APPLE LIST

• "Help" - The speech engine will tell you the features of voice control

INTERESTING FEATURES

• When dialing a name in your address book you can also say the nickname assigned to the contact, or an abbreviation. For example if Daniel is in your address book you can simply say Dan to dial that contact...

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Play more songs like this - genius playlist from currently playing song

wahoo10

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
"Rape my wallet"

That one seemed to work before I ever turned the phone on.

You silly silly boy, all Apple products have been able to do this before now, but they did it telepathically!!

I'd love to see speech-to-text abilities...knock out a text message via voice control? AT&T would love it, everyone would be on an unlimited plan

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
It's too bad that the voice commands don't work from a BT headset. I hope that Apple changes their minds on implementing this as the lack of it sort of limits the functionality.

iluvrobot

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
If it is okay to ask: Where did you get this image?

Also, do you have it for other languages?

Thanks!

Jamz00

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
So..............where is voice command? I can't find it. I even used the search function.

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
I was bored and used Google Translator and tried playing Metallica via Voice Commands in like 3 different languages. It works great if you pronounce it right lol. The only other ones I could reproduce successfully was the Mexican Spanish and the French. ^_^

Jamz00

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
Anyone else having trouble using voice to play music? I accidentally dialed about 5 people trying to play music. I even say play first but it dials instead.

danlovaj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
[/QUOTE] I'd love to see speech-to-text abilities...knock out a text message via voice control? AT&T would love it, everyone would be on an unlimited plan[/QUOTE]

There is text-to-speech however, under accessibility controls.

btw, i love how the white on black looks on the menu. Too bad there isn't an option to only have that effect on the menus and not the whole iphone.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
They need text to speech primarily (text messages and typing in general would be godly if it was accurate enough).

But above all, being able to search would be awesome too. Imagine being in Mobile Safari, hold down the home button, and just say, "Search for Crash Kart" or "Spotlight John Appleseed". That'd be awesome! :cool:

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
Maybe it's because I'm British, but my iPhone doesn't understand me.

For example, whenever I ask it to play the next song it calls my dentist.

I've had some very interesting conversations with people today!

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
They need text to speech primarily (text messages and typing in general would be godly if it was accurate enough).

But above all, being able to search would be awesome too. Imagine being in Mobile Safari, hold down the home button, and just say, "Search for Crash Kart" or "Spotlight John Appleseed". That'd be awesome! :cool:

Download Vlingo. Works pretty well, and you can search Google/Yahoo and Google maps by voice.

Now, why in the world doesn't the 3G support voice command? Silly Apple. :rolleyes:

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
If you say "help" the lovely lady will ramble on for a few seconds about some of the commands you can say. Nothing exciting, though.

auburnfan24

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Below is a list of all voice commands currently published for the iPhone 3G S. If anyone finds any others which aren't on this list then do post them and I'll update this thread accordingly.

nice thread...ive been trying to deal with this tiny lady in my phone all day! now i now the words to make her dance! thanks!

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Anyone else having trouble using voice to play music? I accidentally dialed about 5 people trying to play music. I even say play first but it dials instead.

yeah, same thing is happening.

to be honest, its quite disappointing this feature.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Maybe it's because I'm British, but my iPhone doesn't understand me.

For example, whenever I ask it to play the next song it calls my dentist.

I've had some very interesting conversations with people today!

This is actually a feature. As soon as it hears a British accent, it assumes you need a dentist.

Sorry, couldn't resist!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.