Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamz00

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I can't find this anywhere and it's kind of annoying. I checked "Sounds" which would be the obvious place but there's no option there. You should be able to keep the other sounds off while turning off he keypad.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I can't find this anywhere and it's kind of annoying. I checked "Sounds" which would be the obvious place but there's no option there. You should be able to keep the other sounds off while turning off he keypad.

Settings>Sounds>Keyboard Clicks

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
You mean the touch tones when you dial a number manually, or the clicks when you type? There is a yes/no "Keyboard Clicks" option under Sounds.

Z¡G

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I've never seen an option to control that in any version of iPhone OS. I use manual dialing so rarely, I've never thought about it. Put it in as a feature request, I guess :D.

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds and delete all "dmtf-" files...........reboot and enjoy a silinced dialpad.

Scott0711

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Keypad tones on external speaker (iPhone 5)

I think I had the same problem most folks here are trying to solve, I'm just describing it differently...

My iPhone 5 keypad previously played the keypad tones THROUGH THE EARPIECE when I dialed a number. For no apparent reason, however, my phone all of a sudden started playing the keypad tones ON THE EXTERNAL SPEAKER. The net result was that every time I had to manually dial a number on my phone, it pretty much announced that fact to the entire office. Besides it being horribly annoying, NOTHING I tried seemed to fix it. Adjusting the volume button while the keypad was active had NO affect on it whatsoever, and having to mute the phone by the side mute button every time I wanted to dial manually dial a number was both impractical and ridiculous. There does not appear to be a choice you make from the settings to turn this on or off, either.

I finally broke down and called Tech Help at Verizon, and they suggested I do a soft reset (pushing the power button at the top and the main button on the front at the same time until the Apple logo appeared). I did just that, and once I turned the phone back on - problem solved!

Unfortunately, my technician admitted that they have no idea why this ever starts; they DID say, however, that many folks have complained about it, and the soft reset seems to work in every instance.

Stephaniemurphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Thank u! The soft re-set worked to turn off my keypad sound off dial pad. Don't know why this sound suddenly appeared, but it's fixed thanks to this advice!

rm4765

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
soft reset does it but not quite

Thank u! The soft re-set worked to turn off my keypad sound off dial pad. Don't know why this sound suddenly appeared, but it's fixed thanks to this advice!

the soft reset as described above decreased the volume of the keypad tones, but did not eliminate them altogether.

why did apple missed out on this very annoying feature by not allowing the user to set the keypad tone off as part of the sounds options? a mystery....

apple, are you listening? probably not. turn your silent mode switch to OFF and do something!

MacRyan40

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks - that worked Scott0711

Thank you Scott0711 - that worked great. Was surprised too when DTMFs were so loud. Thought I remembered an option to turn it off in iOS7.
Anyway - that works great.

Off-topic - but! -Enjoying iOS8 - especially now that iP5 has a new battery. 14 hours since last full charge, and still 23%. With Wifi running most of time, and a power-hungry activity tracker app (MotionX 24/7). Happy Days. No more 4 or 5 hour battery life. :cool:

blankshe

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Keypad tones on external speaker (iPhone 5)

I think I had the same problem most folks here are trying to solve, I'm just describing it differently...

My iPhone 5 keypad previously played the keypad tones THROUGH THE EARPIECE when I dialed a number. For no apparent reason, however, my phone all of a sudden started playing the keypad tones ON THE EXTERNAL SPEAKER. The net result was that every time I had to manually dial a number on my phone, it pretty much announced that fact to the entire office. Besides it being horribly annoying, NOTHING I tried seemed to fix it. Adjusting the volume button while the keypad was active had NO affect on it whatsoever, and having to mute the phone by the side mute button every time I wanted to dial manually dial a number was both impractical and ridiculous. There does not appear to be a choice you make from the settings to turn this on or off, either.

I finally broke down and called Tech Help at Verizon, and they suggested I do a soft reset (pushing the power button at the top and the main button on the front at the same time until the Apple logo appeared). I did just that, and once I turned the phone back on - problem solved!

Unfortunately, my technician admitted that they have no idea why this ever starts; they DID say, however, that many folks have complained about it, and the soft reset seems to work in every instance.

I had tried all the other options people were suggesting none of them worked. Some dumb people would make comments about why I would want to keep my dial pad silenced...uhm duh...PRIVACY. For example you're on the line with county/department of social services or any other line like that and you're dialing your social/zip/PERSONAL CONFIDENTIAL INFO..HELLO.
Anyhow, I just wanted to THANK YOU for sharing, it solved the issue!! Best answer I found. Best Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had tried all the other options people were suggesting none of them worked. Some dumb people would make comments about why I would want to keep my dial pad silenced...uhm duh...PRIVACY. For example you're on the line with county/department of social services or any other line like that and you're dialing your social/zip/PERSONAL CONFIDENTIAL INFO..HELLO.
Anyhow, I just wanted to THANK YOU for sharing, it solved the issue!! Best answer I found. Best Regards.
Wouldn't the tones just be in the earpiece and this not really heard by anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.