Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starstudded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether the larger capacity 32gb space boosts the processing speed of the iphone 3GS over the 16gb model. Can anyone confirm this? I want to know before I decide which model to get. I will definitely get the 32 gb if it is faster than the 16gb.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether the larger capacity 32gb space boosts the processing speed of the iphone 3GS over the 16gb model. Can anyone confirm this? I want to know before I decide which model to get. I will definitely get the 32 gb if it is faster than the 16gb.

no its just more space!

starstudded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
no its just more space!

That's what I'm leaning towards to too but I want some confirmation maybe a speed test with the 2 models side by side because as with any Apple product, there are some factors that get discovered by the users.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
That's what I'm leaning towards to too but I want some confirmation maybe a speed test with the 2 models side by side because as with any Apple product, there are some factors that get discovered by the users.

im telling you there is no speed difference what so ever..... its just space

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Think about it for a moment before you act silly.

Does adding capacity - more room for media - improve the speed? Logically, it's obvious that it doesn't.

Same speed, more capacity for things on your phone. Same phone, more flash chips. Simple. As. That.

:)

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
I think he's thinking that the extra space can be used as "more memory"

In reality, it's just more space for storage.

So no, it should not be any faster than the 16GB iPhone. :)

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
Whoa, don't be so hasty guys. Conceivably apple could be using slightly faster performing chips on either the 16 or 32GB model. Remember no two chips are made equal. Although I admit this would be highly unlikely. I for one wouldn't mind seeing someone test this, if only to give me some peace of mind.

Adam

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Also, if they used two 16GB chips, they could theoretically run striping across both chips and almost double performance. ;)

Lenxal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
It's been said that apple wouldn't use 2x 16gb chip.
if they did it would be cheaper
thats why for another 100 dollars you can get a 32gb because the chip is 1 not 2

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Hi,

space and bragging rights :D

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Storage space CAN improve speed. For example: a 5400 rpm hard drive versus a 7200 rpm hard drive. Maybe that's what the OP is thinking (though the iphone doesn't have a traditional hard drive with rotating platters)

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Storage space CAN improve speed. For example: a 5400 rpm hard drive versus a 7200 rpm hard drive. Maybe that's what the OP is thinking (though the iphone doesn't have a traditional hard drive with rotating platters)

5,400 vs. 7,200 rpm has nothing to do with storage space. It shouldn't affect speed. The CPU, Baseband CPU, and the graphics chip are all the same, it is the memory that is different. If you need the storage space, go for it. If not, the 16gb will be the exact same as the 32 speed wise.

However, some have said with less space on their phones that they notice performance hits. I don't have any proof to back this up and I don't know if anyone else does either.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
why don't you all just tell the OP that yes there is a speed increase. It seems like its the answer he's looking for. Even if not noticeable, it'll make him happy. Especially since he seems like the type to you know... paralysis by analysis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.