Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Hey, i know this isn't Mac related, but i figured i'd try here anyways.

So i'm looking for a good Analog to DV Video convertor for use with Final Cut. I've been Using the Sony DVMC-DA2 at school and its worked great, but they've become extremely hard to find for a decent price so i'm looking at some other options, namely the ADS Pyro A/V Link or the Canopus ADVC-100. Just wondering if anyone has used either of these products. They look pretty much identical in the specs, so some actual user feedback would be awesome. Thanks.
-Alex

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Go Canopus

cornfedgrowth said:
Hey, i know this isn't Mac related, but i figured i'd try here anyways.

So i'm looking for a good Analog to DV Video convertor for use with Final Cut. I've been Using the Sony DVMC-DA2 at school and its worked great, but they've become extremely hard to find for a decent price so i'm looking at some other options, namely the ADS Pyro A/V Link or the Canopus ADVC-100. Just wondering if anyone has used either of these products. They look pretty much identical in the specs, so some actual user feedback would be awesome. Thanks.
-Alex

Canopus has an excellent reputation for doing a great job. Both in the video conversion and in keeping the sound-track synced with the video in very long loops - something that most converters seem to have a hard time with. They are also well known for their outstanding customer support.

Here's an old tutorial on how to do video conversion on the Mac using the Canopus ADVC100.

http://www.whiningdog.net/Articles/Video/Apple/20020712-VHSArchival/index.php

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I own the Canopus ADVC-100 -- I have never seen a bad review of it -- and I'm very happy with it.

It's a little more than some others, but I highly recommend it. If you have any specific questions go ahead and ask or message me. I've used it with both Premiere (Final Cut equivalent, I believe) and iMovie with good success.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Canopus all the way.

They also have a cheaper ADVC55 model that only does analogue>digital and not analogue>digital>analogue (like the 100).

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Has anyone used the ADS model? I'm still not sure which one i'm gonna go with. I'm trying to squeeze as much stuff into my budget as possible.... sooo... thanks for the help everyone

rscowboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2004
Pass on the ADS A/V Link.

I recently purchased the ADS box and although it did work, the best capture I was able to get was about 8 min with about 8-10 freezes that lasted 1-2 seconds each. Plugged a Sony DVMC-DA2 into the same box and captured various clips ranging from 45 mins to 1hr 15mins. On each of these, the video ran up and the box was still capturing. The ADS just couldn't cut it. Retuned the ADS and I am now looking at the Canopus myself since as you point out, the Sony boxes are getting harder to find.

bigcreek

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2004
cornfedgrowth said:
Has anyone used the ADS model? I'm still not sure which one i'm gonna go with. I'm trying to squeeze as much stuff into my budget as possible.... sooo... thanks for the help everyone

I've used both. The Canopus wins hands down in every way. You won't regret the additional $s.

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone. Seems to be a unanimous vote for the canopus. I guess i know what i'm buying! Thanks everyone!
-Alex

frank5050

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
way out west
Not a problem with my ADVC100 in a year's use, sync is great and the capabilty to "bypass" macrovision on commercial content has come in handy a few times. ;-)

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.