Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has run the TV software on a macmini/other hardware before, and can give any input if it works better having bigger faster hardware to backup the TV interface?

Has anyone from experience been able to discern whether or not the TV hardware has anything to do with lag and slow responsiveness of the interface?
We have 3 TVs so I am very familiar with the TVs shortcomings, I would like to explore the possibility that it is mainly a hardware issue.

Or is it really software and/or networking problems at the heart of the TVs issues?

Is it worth a try to run TV software in this manor, or has it been tested in this way and still found to be wanting?

And while front row is nice, once you have used TV interface enough to appreciate the finites of the refinement, there is no comparison for how much more pleasurable TVs interface is to use than front row....well when it works properly that is.

Anyone have a link to tutorials that were better examples to follow, or tips to make it run smooth and correctly?

Any tips you can pass along now that you have yours up and running and did not know about until later?

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Would be good if they could get it to work under Leopard. I would love that on a mini.

Does it access the iTunes store? That is what FrontRow is missing- you can't get movie rentals from the mini through it.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
my understanding was it wouldnt work under leopard because the base of the appletv is still tiger, maybe when a significant appletv update comes.

chugs

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Why not run plex, it's a lot more slick than front row, can organize your native files, and you can access hulu/joost/cnn/youtube etc. as well through it for streaming content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.