Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Mu understanding was that it would do thing like reorientate google maps - so as a turn the phone, the map turns. But it doesn't affect maps at all.

So does it do? I really don't care where north is so why do I need it?

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Actually it does affect the maps. You have to turn on the effect though. You do this by using the small symbol in the lower left corner of the screen. It is helpful to have the map properly oriented when you use it.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Are you saying that you can't get it to work in maps, or that you can, but you don't see the point?

If you can't get it to work, hit the locate me button twice. The first time locates you, and the second activates the compass.

If it's the latter, you've never come out of a subway on an unfamiliar street and tried to figure out which way to walk, or been in the middle of a Stepford-like community where everything looks the same and had to drive or walk for a bit to see you were going in the wrong direction.

I could go on, but if you don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

vkobejitsu

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Actually it does affect the maps. You have to turn on the effect though. You do this by using the small symbol in the lower left corner of the screen. It is helpful to have the map properly oriented when you use it.

:D Cool, thanks for the info! Definitely going to use often.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Double tap the button at the bottom of which screen? In maps that turns on locate and immediately turns it off again. In compass it just opens maps.

I thought that, if I located myself in maps and then turned the phone 180deg, the map would remain correctly orientated. It does not. It does the same as it always did.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Double tap the button at the bottom of which screen? In maps that turns on locate and immediately turns it off again. In compass it just opens maps.

I thought that, if I located myself in maps and then turned the phone 180deg, the map would remain correctly orientated. It does not. It does the same as it always did.

In maps.

Tap it once, and it turns a brighter blue and locates you. Tap it again, and it stays that bright blue and turns on the compass.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, as it seems to be working for everyone else.

I just hit the locate button once in maps and it finds me with GPS, I then hit it again and it reorients the map to the direction I'm facing, and turns with me. The button icon changes from a target to a target with a beam in it.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure why it isn't working for you, as it seems to be working for everyone else.

I just hit the locate button once in maps and it finds me with GPS, I then hit it again and it reorients the map to the direction I'm facing, and turns with me. The button icon changes from a target to a target with a beam in it.

Really?! Oh - then it isn't working for me. Maps locates me and then, when I tap it again it just turns it off.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Yes - appears to work fine. But doesn't seem to intigrate with anything.

Should the button in compass that opens maps also turn on the map orientate thing? Cos if so, it doesn't for me.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Did you hit "ok" when the compass app asked to use your location? If you don't remember, go to Settings>General>Reset and choose "reset location warnings." That will make all apps ask for permission again, and let you activate the compass.

If that doesn't work, try resetting your phone.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
It really wasn't such an issue on mine so if resetting the settings doesn't work maybe go to an Apple Store and ask them to show you or something.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for the help.

Done all that - said ok when prompted, restarted and still not working!

Guess I've got a duff phone. At least I know it SHOULD work cos til now I thought the compass was a pointless pile of crap.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Thanks for the help.

Guess I've got a duff phone. At least I know it SHOULD work cos til now I thought the compass was a pointless pile of crap.

Try restoring your phone in itunes. If that doesn't work exchange for another one.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Thanks for the help.

Try this:

- Tap the "Open Maps" button in the Compass app.
- When Maps opens, tap the Locate button on the left, it will turn blue.
- Tap the now-blue Locate button again.

Does that do anything?

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
when in the maps application, are you waiting for the gps to finish finding your location before you try hitting the button again? because you should, sometimes you might be cancelling the location service instead of activating the compass, i dunno, try it

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
You really took the time to post this? Surely your time could be better spent elsewhere.

ditto.

and ditto to me for doing the same.

why do people complain about people's posts who complain about people's posts who cmoplain about people's posts etc ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.