Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bildio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
New Jersey
Should bt be turned off when not in use to conserve battery? Does it search for a device when the ipod touch is in the sleep/off mode?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Should bt be turned off when not in use to conserve battery? Does in search for a device when the ipod touch is in the sleep/off mode?

Turn it off if you know you won't need it. I liked keeping mine on for ***** and giggles and to see that cool Bluetooth symbal next to the battery but the Bluetooth+wifi drains my battery like I have the screen on full brightness.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Yes, with bluetooth ON there will be some battery drain, even if it's not connected to anything. It's in "discoverable" mode, and as such is alway watching for other bluetooth devices. AFAIK there is no way to keep bluetooth ON and NOT in discover mode.

If you're using bluetooth with bluetooth headphones, then turn the screen off. You'll save more power having the screen OFF than not using Bluetooth would have saved. When they fix bluetooth to support track fwd/back you'll be able to forget your music is even coming from your Touch.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
I noticed this today too. It's like BT is the battery killer. I've never had to charge my touch more than twice a week, but since using the BT I've had to charge it two days in a row!

And everything people have said up until now I can confirm:
-Thought it worked with my BT dongle, the Touch will not natively support the forward and back controls on my headset.
-Having the screen locked when you aren't using the screen will conserve much of your battery. I think this is because it shuts off discovery mode, which is indeed the reason the battery leaks like a dutch loche.

Hopefully Apple will release a fix for the above when the push the next update. I'm very happy that the Touch got native BT support though. I can sell my dongle, and aesthetics matter to me, so now I look even cooler, lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.