Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I opened up my G5, to install more RAM, and saw that one of the hard drives was unplugged (I just got it used), and so I connected that, blew some compressed air into it, installed the RAM and closed 'er up.

Then I tried to power on and it didn't work (No Chimes, just fans spinning, no video, not even the start up chime). So, I disconnected the hard drive, took out the RAM I put in, and closed it, and it still doesn't boot. Same thing.

My keyboard is wireless, but the wireless dongle thing doesn't get any power when it is "powered on".

The fans are spinning all the time. (Except when it's powered off, obviously)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I opened up my G5, to install more RAM, and saw that one of the hard drives was unplugged (I just got it used), and so I connected that, blew some compressed air into it, installed the RAM and closed 'er up.

Then I tried to power on and it didn't work (No Chimes, just fans spinning, no video, not even the start up chime). So, I disconnected the hard drive, took out the RAM I put in, and closed it, and it still doesn't boot. Same thing.

My keyboard is wireless, but the wireless dongle thing doesn't get any power when it is "powered on".

The fans are spinning all the time. (Except when it's powered off, obviously)

Reseat the RAM that's in there, i.e. take it out, give it a blow and put it back in. It sounds like a RAM problem to me.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Err, no. I went downstairs to do that, and when I saw that I accidentally left it on in it's "being stupid" state, the fans were on probably at their highest level. It sounded like an airplane inside my house!

But, I just unplugged the power cord. I'll post back if it worked or not.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Is the RAM installed in matched pairs? I know the G5 needs that to work, but I don't know if installing it improperly would cause the problems you're having.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I don't know what matched pairs are, I did take them all out when I was installing more RAM to clean and stuff, so if theres a chart or something...

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Err. I got it working. I Google Imaged a chart and yeah. It works.

Also, does it matter which slots I put in specific RAM in? Like, the lowest doesn't need to be in a specific slot does it?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
You should download the user manual from Apple, and maybe download Mactracker (try macupdate.com) to identify the G5, as there were many different models. Basically, the G5s had 4 or 8 ram slots, installed in matching pairs (same type same speed) from the center 2 slots outwards. Google it (G5 ram configuration, for ex.) It mayalso be a good idea to reset the PRAM (hold down Command Option P R keys at startup till you hear the chime twice).

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Oh, I know which one I have- It's the Late '04 Model. Dual 1.8Ghz.

But yeah, I'll definitely download the manual and stuff.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I downloaded the manual from Apple's website.

Got a question:

Can I put in a Diamond HD 2600XT SB edition (PCI Express- 256MB GDDR3)
into a G5?

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
No. Only the NVIDIA 6600 LE, 6600, 7800 GT, 7800 GTX, Quadro 4500 and ATI X1900GTO made specifically for the G5 will work.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
And lucky us the official versions are like ebay gold mines. :( I would recommend you stick it out with what ever card you have.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Ughh, that's a horrible card compared to my PC though :/.

I'm moving my PC downstairs so my dad will be using it as his main machine. I'll be using the G5 as my main machine, and then whenever something happens where the G5 isn't as fast/good/Windows Only, I'll use the PC.

But yeah, in order for that to work, I need a Airport card(N preferably- Do they make those?)- Where can I get one other than eBay?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Your late 2004 G5 will not take PCIe Grafics but AGP 8x. List of compatible cards was already posted.

WLAN-N wasn't invented when this machine sold. Apple never sells any retrospect upgrades.

Your best bet is a WLAN-N on PCI or USB 2.0 with a Ralink chip. Ralink posts drivers for OS X 10.3-10.5 for all their wireless Chips on their home page. They will not use the Airport drivers but emulate an Ethernet port with the Ralink driver package. It is fairly simple and effective.

PCI goes for 35 $ with external MIMO antenna and USB for 20 $.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Your late 2004 G5 will not take PCIe Grafics but AGP 8x. List of compatible cards was already posted.

WLAN-N wasn't invented when this machine sold. Apple never sells any retrospect upgrades.

Your best bet is a WLAN-N on PCI or USB 2.0 with a Ralink chip. Ralink posts drivers for OS X 10.3-10.5 for all their wireless Chips on their home page. They will not use the Airport drivers but emulate an Ethernet port with the Ralink driver package. It is fairly simple and effective.

PCI goes for 35 $ with external MIMO antenna and USB for 20 $.

Will this work:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Wireles...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243365090&sr=8-1

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Do you know the model? Does it pass POST, or make the startup noise? (The spin-up when the door is not seated is standard, methinks)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
DP (dual prozessor) G5 PMs frequently fail to boot when one of the CPUs are damaged. The earlier Models upwards to the 1,8 GHz (June 2004) series are capable to start with one good CPU only in the upper slot. You remove the lower one first and if it doesn't start that way put the lower one in the upper slot. Unfortunately from the 2,0 HGz model upward there is no easy way to test it but have your AASP do it for you.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Also, does it matter which slots I put in specific RAM in? Like, the lowest doesn't need to be in a specific slot does it?

I also have a :apple: PowerMac Dual 1.8 G5 and I'm wanting to know this same thing because i have two 512 MB RAM sticks currently installed and two 1 GB sticks I want to expand with. Should the larger ones be accessed first (going from the inside out as directed in pairs) or should I keep the smaller ones where they are and expand outward with the larger RAM??

Somebody must know if this makes a difference or not...
Thanks.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
My G5 booted fine that day, and I fixed it.

And to the poster above, I don't think it matters as long as they're in matched pairs.

I have 512(x2), 1 (x2).
The 512 is in the A slot, and 1 is in the B slot.

I put it the other way around, and it still boots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.