Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

I have my UK mobile phone contract with Orange who do not offer the iPhone. I do not really want the hassle of changing companies but also do not want to be tied into a 24 month contract with anyone else! I would like an iPhone and was wondering if I bought one from the USA, would it work in the UK? Is there any advantage to this or would the costs still be prohibitive? I just would like everything Apple if possible so my life can flow that little but easier!

Sorry to ask this as well, but will cordless home phones bought in the USA also work in the UK?

Bazzy

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
IF you unlock it, yes it will work on any GSM system. All iPhones are "World Phones," and have GSM radios for all 4 common GSM freqs.

Right now you can unlock the 2G and 3G. The s/w for the 3GS, Ultrasnow, is having issues, but should be up soon. Check out the iPhone Dev Team blog for more deets.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
IF you unlock it, yes it will work on any GSM system. All iPhones are "World Phones," and have GSM radios for all 4 common GSM freqs.

Right now you can unlock the 2G and 3G. The s/w for the 3GS, Ultrasnow, is having issues, but should be up soon. Check out the iPhone Dev Team blog for more deets.

Then, can you unlock it and lock it again? I mean, can you bring your iPhone to overseas trip and lock it back to AT&T once you get back?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Sorry to ask this as well, but will cordless home phones bought in the USA also work in the UK?

There are two issues here - the power supply and the landline connection.

The telephone signal itself ought to be electrically compatible, but the phone jack has a different physical layout and you'd need an adaptor.

The power grid in the UK has a different voltage and frequency than in the USA. If your wireless telephone power supply has markings saying it's compatible with 50-60 Hz and 100-240 VAC, then it's a universal power supply and all you'd need is a physical adaptor to fit UK-style plugs.

Otherwise, you'll also need a universal transformer/inverter that takes the UK-style plug, frequency and voltage as an input, and provides a US-style plug, voltage and frequency as an output. Alternatively you could acquire a replacement power supply that plugs directly into the UK power grid and produces the low-voltage DC power your phone actually uses.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Then, can you unlock it and lock it again? I mean, can you bring your iPhone to overseas trip and lock it back to AT&T once you get back?

All unlocking does is let you use other SIMs; it doesn't affect your AT&T SIM. Assuming you have an unlocked 3G, pop in a UK SIM and when you return just put your ATT SIM back in. There is no real reason to lock it again.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008

This UltraSn0w confuses me somewhat. Is it the case that there is actually a method for unlocking the 3GS? Or just the 2G and 3G. I was under the impression that as it's a new chip, it generally takes a while to figure out?

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
I don't think chupa chupa is fully correct...

I understand dev-team blog properly, redsn0w will only unlock a 2G iPhone. Ultrasn0w will unlock iphone 3g.

Read the paragraph in the dev team blog right above the text:
"SHA1 SUMS"

I forgot I can paste w my phone now! Edit:
To use redsn0w simply upgrade the device in iTunes to firmware version 3.0 and run redsn0w to activate and jailbreak the device (and if you are using an original iPhone 2G, it will unlock it too!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.