Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pratap21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Hey all,

I'm new to the entire mac osx scene.. The fonts on this look pretty blur when compared to windows fonts.

Is there any way I can tweak the anti-aliasing or font config to make it look better?

I might just switch to using Ubuntu on macbook if the problem continues...

Thanks

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
Hey all,

I'm new to the entire mac osx scene.. The fonts on this look pretty blur when compared to windows fonts.

Is there any way I can tweak the anti-aliasing or font config to make it look better?

I might just switch to using Ubuntu on macbook if the problem continues...

Thanks

One possibility could be your resolution isn't maxed out?

pratap21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Its 1280x800 on the new alum book. The pictures..etc are fine but I think there is a general problem with OS X where fonts don't render as sharp as Windows.

cryonic49

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Its 1280x800 on the new alum book. The pictures..etc are fine but I think there is a general problem with OS X where fonts don't render as sharp as Windows.

You can try to disable anti aliasing entirely, but that'll make everything super ugly.

There is a fundamental difference between Mac OS X and Windows font rendering techniques. Mac attempts to adhere the shape of the font face , while Windows is more interested at 'hammering' the shape into the pixel of the screen (so it looks sharper). I personally prefer Mac OS X's rendering better.

Here is a link to that discussion.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I know where you're coming from. The font on my Samsung 24" display using my mac pro looks normal. the fonts on my macbook almost look like they're in bold, or something.

cryonic49

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
oh don't forget. You can specify the weight of the anti aliasing under Appearance in System Preferences. Set it to light. You won't see any difference until you restart your applications

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I know how you feel, it took me a long while to get used to it. Especially smaller fonts will be a bit blurry on OSX, just the nature of the font smoothing. OSX does handle larger fonts better than Windows though, much more pleasant looking.

In any case soon you probably won't pay any attention to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.