Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of iPhone OS 3.0 last week, many users have been looking forward to the release of turn-by-turn GPS navigation apps. While TomTom for iPhone garnered the most publicity due to its demo as part of the keynote presentation at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, several other companies have been developing similar apps and rushing to bring them to the App Store.

Last week, Gokivo + Yahoo! Local Search [App Store, $0.99 plus $9.99/month subscription] appeared in the App Store, offering turn-by-turn GPS navigation in the United States based on Yahoo! Maps. Gokivo initially received a tremendous amount of criticism, as its App Store description gave no indication that an additional $9.99/month subscription was required in order to access turn-by-turn guidance. The App Store description has since been updated to clearly reflect which features are accessible with the $0.99 base version and which require the monthly subscription. Gokivo has received mixed reviews at best so far, with the nearly $120/year subscription price tag also remaining a significant stumbling block for many users.

Sygic last week also released two GPS applications for Australia/New Zealand and Southeast Asia. MobileMaps Australia & New Zealand [App Store, US$64.99] utilizes data from Telstra's Whereis service to offer thorough turn-by-turn GPS functionality throughout Australia and New Zealand, while MobileMaps Asia - South-East [App Store, US$79.99] uses data from Tele Atlas to offer navigation in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand.

The most recent major entrant to the turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app scene is Navigon, whose MobileNavigator Europe [App Store, US$94.99 through the end of June] application offers navigation in 40 European countries. While the current full European version is priced at €74.99, the price will increase to €99.99 as of July. Navigon will also soon be offering apps covering smaller European regions for the introductory price of €49.99, increasing to €69.99 as of July. Navigon is also planning to release a free "lite" version that will provide maps and point-of-interest listing, but no active navigation. Finally, Navigon promises that it is continuing to work on similar apps for other regions, including North America and Australia, and has released a brief video demonstrating MobileNavigator Europe in action.

Article Link: Turn-by-Turn GPS Apps Begin to Appear: Gokivo, Sygic, Navigon

Kyle23

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Delaware
I'm gonna have to wait for Tom Tom, seems much more stable and a better all around system. Still don't under stand the big hoopla around turn by turn tho, the map app already on the iPhone works amazing for me and if I take a wrong turn I can just re-calibrate the directions by hitting current location.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
While the above solutions (a small iPhone app which uses online maps through your 3G data connection) sounds nice, it really isn't. I have been traveling through Australia, New Zealand and the USA the past year and there are huge areas without cellular reception traveling through Australia, let alone data connections. Same goes for New Zealand. Also, I traveled from West Coast to East Coast in the USA and there were several states where I couldn't get an AT&T cellular connection with my San Francisco bought AT&T pre-paid card which I had bought with the assumption AT&T had coverage in every state. Bad assumption... So if you rely on online maps you're pretty much out of luck when navigating through less densely populated areas (or areas with less or no cellular reception)... I was very very happy with my TomTom ONE XL in Australia, New Zealand and the USA...

I would expect TomTom to release an iPhone application either including a local map and doing in-app purchases of additional maps which you then download over the air and store on your phone. Then you can always use navigation on the road, no matter how remote you are....

That's indeed what they suggest on their site:

the TomTom app including the latest maps
(coming soon to the iTunes App Store)

I would guess the TomTom App will be sold with a country / state map as regional maps (US, Europe, etc) tend to get quite large (over / around 1 GB) and I'm pretty sure telco's will not be happy if people download those large maps over the air ;) Probably you'll just buy TomTom with a country map, and do in-app purchases of a next map (country / state) you would like to visit.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Still don't under stand the big hoopla around turn by turn tho, the map app already on the iPhone works amazing for me and if I take a wrong turn I can just re-calibrate the directions by hitting current location.

Presumably you're not driving then.

Pugpuppydude

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Utah
I'm gonna have to wait for Tom Tom, seems much more stable and a better all around system. Still don't under stand the big hoopla around turn by turn tho, the map app already on the iPhone works amazing for me and if I take a wrong turn I can just re-calibrate the directions by hitting current location.

Multi-tasking saves money :)

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
The Navigon one looks tempting but think I will hold out and see what like the Tom Tom app will be like and the price!!

Its a shame that it doesn't look at all likely that Garmin will be making an app, with their GPS navigation phone coming out some time maybe this year, maybe next. They seem to be having difficulties with it.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
While I had really hoped to see either TomTom or Navigon release their standalone product for the U.S. before the start of my vacation trip (July 3rd), I have a feeling it'll be closer to the end of July/early August. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Price-wise, I've always expected the navigation apps to cost around $100. It's still cheaper than most standalone units and I don't have to worry about carrying/hiding another device. Further, its a lot cheaper than the built-in solutions, and more convenient.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008

The map app is fine when you have nothing else to do but stare at the screen. Country roads, highways, that kind of thing, where you barely need a map at all. Get into any kind of real traffic or even close to city driving, however, and it's worthless. Get on a motorcycle and it's totally worthless at all times. I've never used it and now that there are finally some real apps showing up, I'm sure I never will use it. I'm totally psyched for a real TBT app!

SleepyHead157

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
With all the built in GPS features in phones nowadays, who needs TomTom? They should come out with an iphone app which would make their popularity grow in the gadget community and in turn would make them more money.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
While I had really hoped to see either TomTom or Navigon release their standalone product for the U.S. before the start of my vacation trip (July 3rd), I have a feeling it'll be closer to the end of July/early August. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Price-wise, I've always expected the navigation apps to cost around $100. It's still cheaper than most standalone units and I don't have to worry about carrying/hiding another device. Further, its a lot cheaper than the built-in solutions, and more convenient.

Looks like you're in luck if you're coming to Europe for your hollidays:

Available from the AppStore, Navigon will cost you 74.99 €, including all Europe maps, for worth 1.65 GB of data!

Still a lot of data, as TomTom's Western & Central Europe map (for the ONE XL) is 1233.9 MB :)

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
With all the built in GPS features in phones nowadays, who needs TomTom? They should come out with an iphone app which would make their popularity grow in the gadget community and in turn would make them more money.

ehm... that's what they are doing? Releasing a TomTom iPhone app and dock?

tomtom-iphone-app.gif

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
A turn by turn program really should have it's own dock and speaker... the stock iPhone speakerphone is TERRIBLE!!!

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
way too much money per month for these things.

Yes, if you are a salesman or on the road every day...definitely..
but for an average college-aged or 20 something....paying a monthly rate is lousy.

i would buy it if it was a flat 50-60 bucks...but not 120 a year with a indefinite timeline.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
way too much money per month for these things.

Yes, if you are a salesman or on the road every day...definitely..
but for an average college-aged or 20 something....paying a monthly rate is lousy.

i would buy it if it was a flat 50-60 bucks...but not 120 a year with a indefinite timeline.

Only one of the products listed above has a subscription fee.

johnntd

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
TomTom sucks in the States

Why do you think TomTom is a better apps? I have tried TomTom before and it sucked big time here in California. It has the oldest map database out there. It would tell you to enter and exist a freeway by numbers which we don't have here in California, Northern California that is. You will be sorry if you buy TomTom I think.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I hope they consider new pricing with the iPhone. As already proven with the regular apps, prices have been lower than any phone in the past, yet more profit than ever before.

If TomTom goes with a standard $99+, or another software keeps that monthly $10, they may be shooting themselves in the foot. This isn't a regular phone with a small market like some random phone model, this is a whole new ballgame and they better price things right or they'll lost an opportunity to rake in the cash.

I already have a GPS unit, and I might use once a month, maybe every two months. So $10 a month is way too much for a plan. It's a great price for those that really need such a service, but why price it for the few that need when they have have millions of iPhone users that would have it for the convenience if they lowered it considerably. And $99 for TomTom, well, I like that the real GPS unit I have is not tied to any device, it stands alone. So paying that much on any phone is a lot. And they're window suction dock, great, but illegal in CA. I'd have to imagine if they say they went with $99, that if they chose to go with $50 they'd get double, or even more users, and that means more than would buy the hardware too. And can you return such an expensive APP like TomTom if it doesn't work well in your area, or has bad maps? Too much to take a chance.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
.........expensive APP like TomTom if it doesn't work well in your area, or has bad maps? Too much to take a chance.

A limited time trial version / ad supported, or something would be a good idea to get people to try before they buy.

I will def buy the Tom Tom app if it is reasonably priced. I wouldn't mind 1st 3 states / regions for $50 + $10 each additonal state etc.

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK
All I can say is the Tom Tom for iPhone app had better not be subscription based and better not cost anymore than £40 as you can buy a tom tom gps device itself for £80 which comes with software already. I know the iPhone is a new device I just hope they do it right :) and release some more details soon or even a pre-order thing!

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I'm all ready to snatch up the TomTom app as soon as it's available IF it doesn't have a monthly service fee. That will be a HUGE scam if they charge a monthly fee. I'll be buying the hardware along with it so I'm hoping they consider all that.

Additional monthly service is bad.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
waiting on Garmin... In my experience and IMO, Garmin > Tom Tom in the US... if Garmin doesn't develop an app, then I may have to settle with Tom Tom

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK

I am waiting for TomTom as well. I believe they will release their app any day now. The reason why its because people like you and me who are going for summer trips etc, who need navigation in their iPhones now. Plus competition are already is here so stay patient for next few days and you will get your TomTom.
Or their minute will gone:eek:

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I have one thing to say to all these subscription and high priced apps for turn by turn. "Good luck with that!"

Buy a standalone or wait until these fools realize they need to change their business model. They can't just remove the hardware from the equation and think they can garner a $100 price tag. $10-20 and they'd sell millions. Just like all the other apps on the store. The first one to bite the bullet will sell so many it's ridiculous and the others will follow suit.

Don't be an early adopter of this.

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Refurb'd TomTom device on newegg: $50. Under NO circumstances should the software alone be any more than that (or even anywhere close to it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.