Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
So we've never gotten SATA II drives with Apple branding on them?

Sata II ran just fine, you just wouldn't get speed in excess of 1.5 Gbps. Which Apple hasn't offered.... very few drives (the most common one being the fastest Intel SSDs) can do that. And none that Apple has sold yet.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So basically Apple dumbed down the 3.0 interface because they don't sell 3.0 hard drives..Makes sense. Too bad people got in such an un-needed uproar.

These things will never end. I love hearing about complaints and arguments from people who have NO IDEA what they're talking about.

I think I'll start the next uproar: *Ahem* WHY ARE MY USB PORTS ON THE LEFT AND NOT THE RIGHT!!!!!! GAWD!

schalkse

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Belgium
Good thing they released this. But the way the release note is constructed says it all. It sounds like "Damn, they discovered that we downgraded it. Let's make it appear that we listen to our customers and we want to give them what they ask...but we don't want to support it. Pfew, we dodged that ball good huh Phil"

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Wow, that was fast.
Seems like it was just a small mistake, and easily fixed.

I can now continue to fantasize about getting a new MBP, sticking an X-25 or two in it, and rest assured that my large sequential reads will be as fast as possible! Oh goody goody! (Not that I was actually going to do that, but I could). ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sata II ran just fine, you just wouldn't get speed in excess of 1.5 Gbps. Which Apple hasn't offered.... very few drives (the most common one being the fastest Intel SSDs) can do that. And none that Apple has sold yet.
I know there's a difference between offering SATA II support and a drive that can saturate that connection.

There's no need to patronize me or anyone else.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Aah.. nothing like a bit of bad publicity to keep a company from slacking off.
Glad to see the complaints from "a small number of customers" managed to keep Apple on their toes. (Interesting choice of words there by Apple :rolleyes:)
Now let's pick up the pace of lack of matte screen related complaints et al! :D

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
These things will never end. I love hearing about complaints and arguments from people who have NO IDEA what they're talking about.

I think I'll start the next uproar: *Ahem* WHY ARE MY USB PORTS ON THE LEFT AND NOT THE RIGHT!!!!!! GAWD!

Believe it or not the "why are all my ports on the left and not the right?" thread is already out there.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Whilst this is good news for those affected, I can't help wondering now what the next batch of complaints will be about. ;)

And for that vast majority of complainers that was NEVER truly affected, but lost sleep/hair/marriages over it anyway ;)

That should make that 1400+ thread happy!

If Apple is evil then Apple is evil. This is not good news, this is just them covering UP their evil, so they can go about... eating babies? Or whatever their dark plan is? :p

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Silly point of view!

This is good news. Apple listened to the end users. Those with new SSDs can now run unfettered. Those of use who might someday upgrade to a SSD can now buy knowing the MBPs will run at the SATA current Spec.

It isn't a question of listening to end users, it is most likely about correcting something that was over looked. What is incredibly sad about this whole event is that people seem to think that Apple regressed here on purpose. I don't think Apple ever wants to be seen as going backwards thus the thought that this is a mistake.

Dave

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
wow. apple can get that update out within a week, but takes 3 years to get us MMS.:D

nos

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Leuven, Belgium
If Apple is evil then Apple is evil. This is not good news, this is just them covering UP their evil, so they can go about... eating babies? Or whatever their dark plan is? :p

SATA II is evil, if you don't type the space before "II" and don't look close enough! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.