Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millsy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Somewhere in time/space
I have a 16GB iPhone 3G running on 3.0 and have been trying to jailbreak it with the updated version of red sn0w. The entire process works flawlessly (apparently), but it snags during the installation process after I put the phone into DFU mode successfully. Any ideas on what is making it not reboot/continue on with the jailbreaking? I downloaded the .ipsw for 3.0, seems to have gotten everything lined up...but no success.

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
All I can say is this happened to me and I just had to try again, and it worked.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
in general, you want to backup and save all your data then restore with the stock firmware to a barebone phone, before you run redsn0w (and before with QuickPwn). I've had issues (jb process hangs) when running quickPwn before on a phone full of apps. It happened again today when I tried to jb my wife's phone on redsn0w. If you haven't tried that, I recommend you do it.

w2830

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
i had the same problem!and had tried many many methods to jailbreak my iphone 3g.then just before i was ready to give up it went throght the jailbreaking process somehow while i didn't do anything on both my computer and iphone.i guess people encouthering this issue just need to keep trying.lolhope this helps.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Hope this helps people.

I updated my 2G to 3.0, and restored from my backup. When I ran Redsn0w it would hang on the 2nd Waiting For Reboot. Tried on XP and on Vista with no luck.

So I put it into DFU and did a clean 3.0 install, then ran Redsn0w and it worked fine, it has Cydia and Icy and it's unlocked.

So it seems like running Redsn0w immediately after the restore and before putting back any of my own stuff was the key to stopping it hanging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.