Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've just ordered the iPhone 3G S on the cheapest tariff, which should be delivered tomorrow. I understand that it will come with a SIM of which I activate myself via iTunes. I want to keep my phone number from T-mobile and I will get the PAC code tomorrow. When the iPhone is activated do I keep the same SIM that came with the Phone and how quick and easy was it to change the number over ? Do I just call o2 and give them my details ( when I have the code and phone ) and they will transfer the number across for me...

Will it do ay harm to get the PAC code today, before I have the iPhone, I mean I won't loose my connection as soon as I request the code will I ?

Thank You

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
I did exactly what you are going to do. On Friday I activated my iPhone using the supplied sim then called O2 from it giving them my PAC code from T-Mobile. They told me it would take 2 working days for the change to take place. I went into my old T-Mobile phone and diverted calls to the new O2 number then waited over the weekend. This morning I had a text saying the change would take place before 6pm today. Later my iPhone reported No Service so I rebooted it and it came to life with the my old number.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I did exactly what you are going to do. On Friday I activated my iPhone using the supplied sim then called O2 from it giving them my PAC code from T-Mobile. They told me it would take 2 working days for the change to take place. I went into my old T-Mobile phone and diverted calls to the new O2 number then waited over the weekend. This morning I had a text saying the change would take place before 6pm today. Later my iPhone reported No Service so I rebooted it and it came to life with the my old number.

Great, can't wait to get it ! How do I divert my calls/texts I have a samsung U600...

Thank You !

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Would it matter if I got my PAC code now, even though I don't have a new phone ? It won't actually ' activate' until I ring o2 and give it to them will it ?

Nstocks

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
England

Same for me but with Orange, I was back on my old number at about 12 midday. Hurrah!

drMinky

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2003
London
So can I get the code at any time i.e a day before I get the iPhone ?

Yup, then you can take the PAC code into the O2 store with you, and they will fill out the neccessary form for you.

..but be prepared for your current network provider to give you the 3rd degree about how wrong you are to leave their network before the finally give it up to you!! :mad:

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Yup, then you can take the PAC code into the O2 store with you, and they will fill out the neccessary form for you.

..but be prepared for your current network provider to give you the 3rd degree about how wrong you are to leave their network before the finally give it up to you!! :mad:

I'm ordering online, do I just call o2 up to give them my PAC code. ( can this speed the process up at all ? )

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I'm ordering online, do I just call o2 up to give them my PAC code. ( can this speed the process up at all ? )

Just call up and tell the rep you want to switch your number and they'll ask for your iPhone's current number and your PAC code.

Don't do this BEFORE you get the phone though, do it when you have the phone.

I got my PAC code from Orange the day after the 3G S was announced. Gave it to O2 as soon as I had my iPhone in hand.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Just call up and tell the rep you want to switch your number and they'll ask for your iPhone's current number and your PAC code.

Don't do this BEFORE you get the phone though, do it when you have the phone.

I got my PAC code from Orange the day after the 3G S was announced. Gave it to O2 as soon as I had my iPhone in hand.

oh, I already have my PAC number from the network I'm leaving, and just ordered the iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.