Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That was extremely brave of her. I can't imagine cutting myself up on purpose. The thought makes my stomach turn. Of course, if her stomach turned as well, it would of probably leaked out, making this story even more miraculous.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I agree that she is a very heroic woman. A farmer has has to learn independence. They learn a lot of skills to survive. She had already lost one child. Her adrenaline was pumping so that allowed her to be successful at saving herself and the baby. She would make a great nurse.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
kind of puts things in perspective when you bitch about waiting 20 minutes to see a doctor, some people are 8 hours away from lifesaving care. The report I read said she did it with a steak knife, btw. I can, perhaps, imagine cutting my skin if necessary, but in this case she would have had to cut through about 8 layers of dermis and muscle (and uterus)... that she survived is a testament to human resilience.

Also kind of makes me hate that woman more that refused a C-section for cosmetic reasons, killing the baby. While there's a lot to be said for how society looks at C-section scars, it's inexcusable.

paul

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
paulwhannel said:
Also kind of makes me hate that woman more that refused a C-section for cosmetic reasons, killing the baby. While there's a lot to be said for how society looks at C-section scars, it's inexcusable.

paul

Living in Utah, this was all over the news. Granted, what she did wasn't right but I think it was done due to her being mentally challenged and loaded with Cocaine rather than her vanity. It was probably the case of the Media getting whiff of the vanity part, spreading it all over the news and then giving lack of coverage to the fact she had major psychological problems and chemical dependency.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
eyelikeart said:
That's just amazing. As said already, the sheer fact that she was able to do that to herself AND survive is unimaginable.

and its amazing that the baby survived. without her cutting right through it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
MrMacman said:
Yeah geez that incredible.

I could never do such a thing to myself, I'd probably hit my stomach and kill myself... or worse.

I'm confident that if an emergency occurred, you could do something similar. If your adrenalin gets pumping, super human accomplishments are possible! ;)

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
I was impressed by the hiker that cut off his own limb to free himself from a boulder (although thought he was maybe a bit hasty). But, while I can't imagine doing that to myself, at least that is just a close your eyes and hack away type operation. This woman had to be somewhat careful and delicate to do this, which seems to be another level of dealing with pain, etc. Although if she had been trying to deliver the baby for a long time perhaps her pain receptors had all been saturated and desensitized.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Dros said:
Although if she had been trying to deliver the baby for a long time perhaps her pain receptors had all been saturated and desensitized.
You beat me to it. If she was in labor trying to get that kid out for any length of time that it would have taken to make it apparent that it wasn't going to happen naturally, I'm quite sure pain had long since ceased to be the major consideration. I'm thinking "please, God, make it stop" would be more the relevant thought, and the knowledge that if something wasn't done, she'd lose the child.

Still: give that lady credit for honorary testicular (ovarian?) fortitude of platinum proportions. :cool: :eek:

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
just when i thought humanity had lost itself...

**** yeah lady! now that's what should happen in our most desperate hours.

what most people would have done: bitch and whine; bitch and whine... dead. ****ing people.

peace.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I'm skeptical of the details of this story. A woman spends a long time trying to give birth to a baby, C-sections herself and THEN calls the nurse to help her clean up? Riiiiiiight. I'm willing to bet the nurse was called a lot sooner and performed the C-section, but because she could get in trouble for doing a doctor's work, the mother agreed to cover for her.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Counterfit said:
This reminds me of the guy who circumcised himself. Except faster, and probably less thought went into this, seems like more of an emergency reaction.
Yeah, you don't hear much about emergency circumcisions.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Ages and ages ago there was this absolutely tiny woman on the news for saving her baby, it turned out that a car with it's handbrake off was rolling onto the baby's carrier, trapping it. She lifted the back of the car and kicked the carrier out of the way.

Which is a feat in itself, but when you saw her, she was tiny!

AppleMatt

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
Awimoway said:
I'm skeptical of the details of this story. A woman spends a long time trying to give birth to a baby, C-sections herself and THEN calls the nurse to help her clean up? Riiiiiiight. I'm willing to bet the nurse was called a lot sooner and performed the C-section, but because she could get in trouble for doing a doctor's work, the mother agreed to cover for her.

It's unlikely. This was in the scientific press before the mass media picked it up -- the authors of the journal article would have their careers go completely down the drain if it was found out the "facts" were fudged -- whether they had fudged them themselves or simply failed to notice the women had. Not like news journalism, where making up your "facts" gets you on the talk shows and bestseller circuit.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Bedawyn said:
It's unlikely. This was in the scientific press before the mass media picked it up -- the authors of the journal article would have their careers go completely down the drain if it was found out the "facts" were fudged -- whether they had fudged them themselves or simply failed to notice the women had. Not like news journalism, where making up your "facts" gets you on the talk shows and bestseller circuit.

Well that does lend some credence to the story, but on the surface it just doesn't make sense to me. Why—why—would you call the nearby nurse only after performing the C-section on yourself?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
That's just amazing. Talk about a tough cookie. I can't even imagine having to go through with something like that. She should get some kind of award, but I suspect being alive and having a healthy baby is enough to make her happy.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
Awimoway said:
Well that does lend some credence to the story, but on the surface it just doesn't make sense to me. Why—why—would you call the nearby nurse only after performing the C-section on yourself?

I wondered about that! Haven't been able to find out yet, though -- it's immensely frustrating that the journal article is behind a pay-for-subscription site. But since the area was so remote as to have no electricity or running water, I suspect "calling" the nurse may have meant more "fetching" the nurse than "picking up the telephone", or the nurse may simply not have been available when they first called. Also, she'd had several children before and women have delivered babies without medical professionals for millenia, so she may not have seen any need for the nurse until the problem was undeniable -- by which point I doubt she'd have wanted to risk the child's life by waiting for the nurse to arrive. Again, rural, probably no ambulances arriving within minutes, and I doubt the nurse was carrying a beeper 24 hours a day. There are lots of _possible_ explanations -- but I'd still like to hear the official one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.