Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
My coworker was having this issue, so I ran Onyx and went through the motions:

- Repaired permissions
- Ran maint. scripts
- Rebuilt caches

After the reboot it seems to be back to normal now...

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I installed my new 500g WD Scorpio Blue. I have had no issues yet.

I installed the 1.7 firmware on the old 160g HD a few days ago.

captain-rossco

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
Bristol, UK
I kept getting spinning disc every 10 mins or so after the firmware update. I did PRAM reset, has sorted me back out and i'm now back up to blazing speed!Result.

Regards
CR
:apple:

friareunuch

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
This may seem a stupid question, but if I were to buy a computer online today, would it come with the SATA firmware upgrade?

Could I avoid this problem by just not doing the firmware update, in the hopes that Apple will fix it in the next couple weeks?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hi there,

How to reset PRAM,

Thanks
Ben

Look here: resetting the PRAM

FWIW I have the Scorpio Blue with no problems

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I am having the same problems. The Firmware obviously is causing this. 10 hours to install OS-X, after many attempts before failing and after a PRAM it's working now but taking forver and I hear the HD clanking every once in a while. The HD is known to be good as it was in my last laptop with no issues.

Took 5 hours to do a Time Keeper reinstall as well. I am putting the factory OEM HD back in tonight till Apple fixes this issue.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Only applies to latest UMBP?

Am I correct in assuming this is only an issue on the latest MBP systems? Because I have not seen a firmware update for my late 2008 UMBP. If so, perhaps the Firmware 1.7 update SATA 3.0 cure is worse than the 1.5 disease.

Cheers,

jlamarp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Well, I just got off the phone again with Apple Technical Support regarding this issue.

Basically they told me that Apple is not responsible for maintaining compatibility with 3rd party aftermarket hardware with their firmware updates. So, since my WD Scorpio 500GB was not shipped with the computer if the firmware update rendered it virtually useless, I'm just outta luck until Apple issues the next firmware release, which may or may not even fix the problem!

It's NOT possible to roll back a firmware upgrade, so the only solution they could offer is to put the 500GB in a USB enclosure and use it externally.

Wow, this is the LAST time I'll trust an Apple firmware upgrade!!!

fixmdude

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Well, I just got off the phone again with Apple Technical Support regarding this issue.

Basically they told me that Apple is not responsible for maintaining compatibility with 3rd party aftermarket hardware with their firmware updates. So, since my WD Scorpio 500GB was not shipped with the computer if the firmware update rendered it virtually useless, I'm just outta luck until Apple issues the next firmware release, which may or may not even fix the problem!

It's NOT possible to roll back a firmware upgrade, so the only solution they could offer is to put the 500GB in a USB enclosure and use it externally.

Wow, this is the LAST time I'll trust an Apple firmware upgrade!!!

Did you try reformatting the 500 GB and starting over after the firmware update and PRAM reset?

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Just a comment: can people please please PLEASE stop suggesting "repair permissions" for all Mac problems? It's become the "reset PRAM" and "re-seat the logic board" of the Intel era.

Fact: This was an EFI update.
Fact: The update itself occurs under the OS. That's why the machine reboots to the grey screen to do the update.
Fact: Nothing permissions related in the OS has anything to do with how the EFI gets flashed, once you get up to that stage.

"Repair permissions" is a throwaway "answer" that, at the very least, wastes the time of the person trying it. Before spouting "answers", make sure your answer is relevant to the problem that is trying to be solved.

jlamarp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Did you try reformatting the 500 GB and starting over after the firmware update and PRAM reset?

I've tried each of the following, with no success:

- Archive and Install
- Reformat the hard drive and do a clean install
- PRAM/SMC resets
- Cloned the working 250GB HDD to the WD 500GB HDD. Problem still exists

Obviously, something with the EFI firmware upgrade is causing issues with the WD 500GB drive, as it worked flawlessly prior to the firmware upgrade.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I've tried each of the following, with no success:

- Archive and Install
- Reformat the hard drive and do a clean install
- PRAM/SMC resets
- Cloned the working 250GB HDD to the WD 500GB HDD. Problem still exists

Obviously, something with the EFI firmware upgrade is causing issues with the WD 500GB drive, as it worked flawlessly prior to the firmware upgrade.

What are your jumper settings on the drive? Perhaps you could try Ennabling / disabling SSC and RPS

See more info here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2670&p_created=#jumper

glavoie84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Since the EFI Firmware Update to version 1.7, I'm also experiencing frequent beach-balling for 20-30 secs doing almost nothing on my new MacBook Pro 13". I'm still using my stock Fujitsu 160GB hard drive. I hope it will be solved soon...

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7 addresses an issue reported by a small number of customers using drives based on the SATA 3Gbps specification with the June 2009 MacBook Pro. While this update allows drives to use transfer rates greater than 1.5Gbps, Apple has not qualified or offered these drives for Mac notebooks and their use is unsupported.

If they are not offering SATA II drive, why does my STOCK Fujitsu 160GB hard drive shows as SATA 3Gbps in system informations since the update?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Since the EFI Firmware Update to version 1.7, I'm also experiencing frequent beach-balling for 20-30 secs doing almost nothing on my new MacBook Pro 13". I'm still using my stock Fujitsu 160GB hard drive. I hope it will be solved soon...

If they are not offering SATA II drive, why does my STOCK Fujitsu 160GB hard drive shows as SATA 3Gbps in system informations since the update?

Resetting the PRAM should fix the issues with the stock drives. Restart your mac and hold down CMD-OPTION-P-R until you hear two reboot chimes.

There seem to be TWO different issues affecting users after the update:

1) Random beachballs that "freeze" the computer - this seems to be fixed with resetting the PRAM

2) Inability to do anything or even boot your mac - this seems to be with the WD Caviar Blue hard drives and Seagate (Don't know the brand or model of the Seagate)

glavoie84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Resetting the PRAM should fix the issues with the stock drives. Restart your mac and hold down CMD-OPTION-P-R until you hear two reboot chimes.

There seem to be TWO different issues affecting users after the update:

1) Random beachballs that "freeze" the computer - this seems to be fixed with resetting the PRAM

2) Inability to do anything or even boot your mac - this seems to be with the WD Caviar Blue hard drives and Seagate (Don't know the brand or model of the Seagate)

I did reset the PRAM after the update but it didn't help...

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Sounds to me that any HD that supports 3.0g speeds is causing issues as the laptop is trying to run at those speeds now. If you put one in that only supports 1.5, then it will probably work fine.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Sounds to me that any HD that supports 3.0g speeds is causing issues as the laptop is trying to run at those speeds now. If you put one in that only supports 1.5, then it will probably work fine.

My WD 500g Scorpio Blue supports it and it is working fine.

Maybe it is certain brands (i think someone suggested this earlier).

g3funk

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
People, please do not re-install...jees, unless you want. Download Onyx (google it) and run it. It takes a second to startup and goes through some preliminary stuff but once you get to the options screen do these two things.

1) Clean up and repair your permissions
2) Dump all the cache that is pre selected by Onyx.

After the second part is done, restart your computer like it recommends and BOOM! All good.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
LOL, on a fresh install, partition, and everything created from scatch it still has a problem and permissions are not the issue.

People, please do not re-install...jees, unless you want. Download Onyx (google it) and run it. It takes a second to startup and goes through some preliminary stuff but once you get to the options screen do these two things.

1) Clean up and repair your permissions
2) Dump all the cache that is pre selected by Onyx.

After the second part is done, restart your computer like it recommends and BOOM! All good.

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I have the early 2008 mbp 15inch, I installed the efi 1.7 update earlier this week, didn't seem to have any problems with the stock 250gb HDD.

I have since then installed the WD Scorpio blue 500gb HDD and after a fresh install and a clone attempt the HDD is very sluggish. The best way I noticed to get it to stutter was by playing an itunes song and then opening safari or FF OSX will begin beach balling and the music will stutter. I have tried resetting the PRAM and repairing permission neither have worked. :-\

The 500gb hdd does show up in osx as sata 1.5 but I'm not sure if the early 2008 models had the 3.0gbps speed.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I have the early 2008 mbp 15inch, I installed the efi 1.7 update earlier this week, didn't seem to have any problems with the stock 250gb HDD.

I have since then installed the WD Scorpio blue 500gb HDD and after a fresh install and a clone attempt the HDD is very sluggish. The best way I noticed to get it to stutter was by playing an itunes song and then opening safari or FF OSX will begin beach balling and the music will stutter. I have tried resetting the PRAM and repairing permission neither have worked. :-\

The 500gb hdd does show up in osx as sata 1.5 but I'm not sure if the early 2008 models had the 3.0gbps speed.

You realize the firmware wasn't targeted for your machine right? It was only for June 2009 macbook pros.

g3funk

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
LOL, on a fresh install, partition, and everything created from scatch it still has a problem and permissions are not the issue.

Did you try Onyx? If not then please refrain. I have tested this with many of the new updated macs (I do mostly Mac consulting). It has been tested on different HD's (WD Blue 500 gig / 320, WD Black 320, X-25M) and the beach ball thing completely goes away. Worth a serious try.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Did you try Onyx? If not then please refrain. I have tested this with many of the new updated macs (I do mostly Mac consulting). It has been tested on different HD's (WD Blue 500 gig / 320, WD Black 320, X-25M) and the beach ball thing completely goes away. Worth a serious try.

Again that is not going to help when the software is having trouble even installing the O/S. That tests the structure of the HD after it's been installed to see if it is proper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.