Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danrose1977

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hi,

I am looking for a way to input several devices to my iBook, these devices are:

- Standard VHS Video
- Game consoles
- 5.1 digital surround sound DVD player

Sounds odd that I would want to do all this, but my Flat is small and I don't want to accomadate PC and TV at the same time.

I have looked at the eyeTV system (the 200 version has AV ports on the back) but I have seen a post here that states the device is no good for the consoles as there is a slight delay, meaning that input on the controller lags behind the onscreen action.

If anyone has any experience with hooking up a setup like this, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
the few i've seen do definately lag a bit
i'd suggest to get a cheap 20 inch TV for like $100 will work much better even though it'll take up room
alternatively you could get an LCD TV that can double as a second monitor for your ibook and to work with your VHS DVD and game consoles

Danrose1977 said:
Hi,

I am looking for a way to input several devices to my iBook, these devices are:

- Standard VHS Video
- Game consoles
- 5.1 digital surround sound DVD player

Sounds odd that I would want to do all this, but my Flat is small and I don't want to accomadate PC and TV at the same time.

I have looked at the eyeTV system (the 200 version has AV ports on the back) but I have seen a post here that states the device is no good for the consoles as there is a slight delay, meaning that input on the controller lags behind the onscreen action.

If anyone has any experience with hooking up a setup like this, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Danrose1977

macrumors regular
Original poster
thehuncamunca said:
the few i've seen do definately lag a bit
i'd suggest to get a cheap 20 inch TV for like $100 will work much better even though it'll take up room
alternatively you could get an LCD TV that can double as a second monitor for your ibook and to work with your VHS DVD and game consoles

I've had a look around and I think that if I can scrape up enough cash I might purchase an LCD TV.... Thanks for the help.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I had wanted to convert some VHS tapes to digital video, and had looked into how to get AV into my PowerBook. Basic findings: some kind of AV bridge was required, and they all cost $200 and up. You really are better off just buying a TV...it will take up room, but it's not as if the iBook takes up that much space.

I have my iBook on a little rolling cart from Ikea instead of a desk....it holds all the software and CDs and peripherals on the shelves and can be wheeled wherever needed at a moment's notice. And that's not counting the occasions when I just pick the 'Book up and take it with me....you really don't need to devote permanent space to a laptop.

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
The video transfer from VHS and watching video on the iBook is definitely possible, there will be lag though. Gaming is not suggested, as the video lag will render games annoying. I suggested the Canon ZR60 DV camera to someone who wanted to transfer video a few weeks ago. If you check prices, you can find them for as low as $290 on sale. I'm not sure about watching programming 'live', I haven't tried it, but you positively could record from broadcast tv and transfer it to iMovie if not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.