Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Anyone have an idea why it is just a problem in some of the Mini's? I hope mine does not break. I don't know what I would do with out it!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I dont see why they dont just put a big glob of epoxy right on those pins where the black connector is, they do that with capacitors everywhere. That would keep things in place and prevent those pins from working loose.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
603 said:
let's hope the intense scrutiny causes Apple to tighten up the QC a bit.
But it's an engineering issue, not QC. If a part meets design specs and is within tolerances, it passes QC. Since the casing meets the (slightly flawed) design, it passes QC with no problem (until someone uses it ;))

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Dont Hurt Me said:
I dont see why they dont just put a big glob of epoxy right on those pins where the black connector is, they do that with capacitors everywhere. That would keep things in place and prevent those pins from working loose.
Until you try and take it apart. I'm sure the techs wouldn't like it ;)

loladze

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2004
I am surprised by the attention to this problem. Die-hard Apple fans vehemently attacked my original post here on Macrumors, where I first described the problem. So I did not think that Apple is going to look into it. I am thankful to those macrumor regulars that saw some useful info in my post.
Here are some pictures of the “stiff connection” from my mini imbedded in some parody story:

http://www.math.unl.edu/~iloladze/iPod.htm

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Dont Hurt Me said:
i mean at the factory

Can't it be that these (poor) infected iPod's are just a part of an affected batch of iPod's?

Some are working great, even after being dropped or roughly handled some report...

Few report of these defections, and they don't use them any rougher then the people with iPods that are working fine do...

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
PowerMacMan said:
Can't it be that these (poor) infected iPod's are just a part of an affected batch of iPod's?

Some are working great, even after being dropped or roughly handled some report...

Few report of these defections, and they don't use them any rougher then the people with iPods that are working fine do...

Only time will tell, the iPod mini's haven't been out for that long so anyone who currently isn't having problems (we can assume) will develop them in time.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
loladze said:
I am surprised by the attention to this problem. Die-hard Apple fans vehemently attacked my original post here on Macrumors, where I first described the problem. So I did not think that Apple is going to look into it. I am thankful to those macrumor regulars that saw some useful info in my post.
Here are some pictures of the “stiff connection” from my mini imbedded in some parody story:

http://www.math.unl.edu/~iloladze/iPod.htm

I don't think people so much were upset by your posting a problem, but instead with the tone of the post. Plus you have a lot of reactionaries on here.

Regardless it is a very real problem, and I'm glad to see that Apple is addressing it.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Krizoitz said:
Regardless it is a very real problem, and I'm glad to see that Apple is addressing it.
Well, we don't know for sure that they're looking at it, but it's likely. One rather easy way to fix it would be to add a little lip on the top there so it would be harder to bend. However, that would make the manufacturing harder, as all the innards barely make it through that hole as it is. The only other solution I can think of would be to put some sort of bracing there, either making that section of the casing slightly thicker, or perhaps having a small piece of aluminum going through the board so that it is in contact with both sides.

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Your post was fine.

loladze said:
FWIW, I think the content and the tone of your post were fine. People seem to forget this forum is an open forum for the Macintosh community.

You discussed a problem with your iPod and articulated a theory about the cause. Don't take the sniping personally -- the critical comments you received didn't address the point of your post, so they say more about the people making them than they do about you.

Keep your chin up, and keep posting. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.