Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?

• Yes, that would be great!

Votes: 130 82.8%
  • No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have contacted arn. We'll see what happens.

I could do that, but I really want it to be a great app, so I'm using WebViews at little as possible. For example, rather than sticking articles in a WebView, I'm parsing out the text, images, embedded videos...etc to categorise them. My plan is to have images and videos in a separate section like the AppStore does. I'd really rather it be native - there are a couple of projects creating vBulletin APIs for external applications, and when any of them are in a usable state, I'll update the app to support it.

And I kind of like my icon better than the MacRumors icon.

I don't. Sorry :eek:. The MacRumors logo is classic. Your logo is nice, but it's a bit generic IMO.

The app you're designing looks good. Very clean and simple. Well done. I'm looking forward to seeing what your final product turns out to be if you complete this.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
not a lawyer and i dont know arn personally...but if you make money off of an macrumors app not officially part of macrumors....a lawsuit is very possible -- so be careful. Definitely get in touch with arn before publishing or submitting anything.

1) it has to be free. (best approach is to talk to arn and maybe they can pay you for whatever cost it is...but knowing macrumors...this app wont be used to make money....just to reinforce the macrumors brand)

I'm discussing compensation with arn. There's no reason to think we can't come to an agreement, but it's not something I'd like to discuss on the forums. It's a private matter. Suffice to say there are lots of routes we could take depending on what each others requirements are.

Just wait until you see the article view though - that's just something else!

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
If this app does come to the AppStore, I would hope it would be free. If it costs money, I would probably just keep browsing Mac Rumors with Safari.

I would really like to use a Mac Rumors app though.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
If this app does come to the AppStore, I would hope it would be free. If it costs money, I would probably just keep browsing Mac Rumors with Safari.

I would really like to use a Mac Rumors app though.

I think you'll change your mind when you see the article view. The goal is to be far and away the best way to read MR on your iPhone/iPod touch.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
I was kinda hoping that this would go open source. But I'm going to have to agree with everyone, I wouldn't buy the app. I know your putting lots of time and work but this is a free site, and its free to get the news through the site. although it would be neat to have the app. I'm split.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I was kinda hoping that this would go open source. But I'm going to have to agree with everyone, I wouldn't buy the app. I know your putting lots of time and work but this is a free site, and its free to get the news through the site. although it would be neat to have the app. I'm split.

I would pay at most $1.99, Above that and I'll say no. But if it was $1.99 or below, I would snatch it up.

Don

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
While a macrumors app would be cool, I would 100% not pay for it. The fourms can be a bit tricky to navigate on the iPhone... but for just news, Safari works good enough for me.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
While a macrumors app would be cool, I would 100% not pay for it. The fourms can be a bit tricky to navigate on the iPhone... but for just news, Safari works good enough for me.

I agree. However if the app had a big feature such as push notifications for new articles, I would pay. Cause I'm addicted to MacRumors, and I'd love to know about the latest mac news and rumors right away.

gillboyswims96

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
the only way i would pay more than $.99 is if it could
  • read the forums
  • see the news
  • be able to copy and paste
  • be able to open links without having to go into macrumors copy the link then go to safari and paste it.

soo is this going to be available in the app store? or at least tried for the app store? i dont want to jailbrake my ipod just for this...

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
This discussion is premature, since I have not yet any reply from arn and you haven't seen what this application will offer and are unable to make a real assessment of value of money: indeed, the app may well end up being free after all.

Again, this is all premature and based on not very much at all. Then again, most of the rumours we discuss here are based on not very much at all, so I can see how the habit forms.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
so we are starting rumors about a rumor about an app that would based on rumors, many of which are based on other rumors.

yahhh

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'd love to have push notification of a new front page article. That's the one thing that'd make me really go for this app.

At the moment, MR has no effective way of informing me when this happens. (there are workarounds, all of which are clunky).

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I'd love to have push notification of a new front page article. That's the one thing that'd make me really go for this app.

At the moment, MR has no effective way of informing me when this happens. (there are workarounds, all of which are clunky).

That's certainly a feature to look at. At the moment however, I've emailed and PMed arn (11 days ago) and had no response.

The app also requires OS 3.0. That may be inconvenient for some, but you're going to have to upgrade if you want to keep using the AppStore anyway. More and more apps are using 3.0-only features.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I find that the iPhone layout for MR isn't too bad, but if someone could come up with a really effective way to view the forums on iPhone (I have no ideas but I'm sure somebody does) that would be awesome.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
MacDailyNews just announced an iPhone app, complete with push notifications for new articles. I'm not the hugest fan of MDN (their fanboyism is really over the top), but I do browse their RSS feed.

I know that their commenting system is completely different, but this should provide some idea as to what an approved Mac news app looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.