Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpbeck76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Still a newbie here so don't blast me....

I'm going to be getting my first iPhone in the next couple of weeks. If I were to get it at the Apple Store, would I need to pay the $18.00 Activation Fee at that time or would it be like when I normally upgrade through ATT in that they just add it to my cell bill?

:confused:

nyekon

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Still a newbie here so don't blast me....

I'm going to be getting my first iPhone in the next couple of weeks. If I were to get it at the Apple Store, would I need to pay the $18.00 Activation Fee at that time or would it be like when I normally upgrade through ATT in that they just add it to my cell bill?

:confused:

Upgrade fees goes on to your next bill, not paid up front.

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
iPhone activation fee is $36.00 with a new account.
It is added to your next bill. Just remember though if you are a new customer, you get prorated and billed twice on the first bill. After that you get a regular bill cycle.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
What about the $18 upgrade fee?

I had a 2G/Edge for 2 years (bought on launch day) and the contract should have been up when I got my 3GS on Sunday. Do I have to pay the $18 upgrade fee? I got an e-mail from AT&T showing the charge on my account. WTF?

nyekon

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
The upgrade fee is standard, is automatically waived in some cases, and in others you can get it waived.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
upgrade fee is the standard $18, theres no way of getting out of it unless you have a special offer on your account (only in cases where the account hasnt been upgraded in a very long time)

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
It is added to your next bill. Just remember though if you are a new customer, you get prorated and billed twice on the first bill. After that you get a regular bill cycle.

Billed twice?

Hmm... how much money should I have prepared if am going to be buying
a 16 gig iphone with 450 minutes and unlimited texting?

I know the phone is $199 plus the bill of about $100. Should I have $300 ready? But how much is the activation...?

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009

I really don't understand that $36 activation fee for new comers. If you want others to switch party and join you, why create an entrance barrier?? How much does it cost AT&T to activate a new account?? Even if it costs some, AT&T shouldn't charge it. AT&T will make plenty of money from any new account. Why the barrier??? Verizon doesn't charge it.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Billed twice?

Hmm... how much money should I have prepared if am going to be buying
a 16 gig iphone with 450 minutes and unlimited texting?

I know the phone is $199 plus the bill of about $100. Should I have $300 ready? But how much is the activation...?
In the Apple store, you pay for the phone.

Your AT&T invoice (the first one) will have the next month, and the pro-rate for the partial month. I just ported from Verizon, and my first invoice (up to 7/21, it's online already) has two days of the 'prior month' and the 6/21-7/21 charges. You aren't billed 'twice' but you need to 'catch up', which means paying for the partial month. After that, your invoice is one month, of course.

That make sense?

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
In the Apple store, you pay for the phone.

Your AT&T invoice (the first one) will have the next month, and the pro-rate for the partial month. I just ported from Verizon, and my first invoice (up to 7/21, it's online already) has two days of the 'prior month' and the 6/21-7/21 charges. You aren't billed 'twice' but you need to 'catch up', which means paying for the partial month. After that, your invoice is one month, of course.

That make sense?

Hmm for me it just seems like the one month started the day I got service... Like, the cycle restarts the 29th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.