Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi there,

I am getting a Mac Mini to replace my Apple TV, for the pure fact that the aTV cannot play true HD movies. What I am struggling with is deciding what cables I need to connect it to the TV.

Do I need a DisplayPort to HDMI? Do I need Mini DVI to HDMI? What do I use to connect the audio up?

Any help appreciated.

Thomss

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
Hey mate,

I have the same T.V and a 2009 Mac-Mini.

VIDEO:
I use the cable that comes in the box with the Mac-Mini and also a DVI-HDMI adapter (which I had from my PC ATI GFX card) then a HDMI cable from that to the TV. it works perfect, with no over scan issues at all.

I know you can get a cable which is DVI-HDMI which will do the same shop, but since I already had the bits hanging around doing nothing, I just used them.

AUDIO:
I take a separate output to my receiver, which does the Dolby-Digital & DTS etc, I know on a few forums people have these little combiner type devices which allows you to take a optical input and a DVI and send it out via HDMI to the T.V in one shot.... Sounds cool.

Otherwise as far as I am aware, this T.V can’t take an audio input from the back of the T.V and combine it with a video input from HDMI
In that case you may need to do the video via VGA, as a computer and then it should accept the audio too.

Good luck.

:)

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Just done a bit more searching. That box you said costs 300 dollars or 150 pounds (im in the UK).

I found this http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...nics&keyword=DVI+To+HDMI+Converter+With+Audio

I dunno whether this is what I need.

The TV actually has Composite inputs (red and yellow 2 connectors, and a green blue and white set of connections). There is no way however to select a seperate audio source from the video source.

So I definately seem to need either a) a seperate set of speakers for audio through the Mini, or b) One of them converter things which costs 150quid.

Either way It looks like I am going to have to spend a substantial amount of money extra :/

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Right,

My plan at the moment is to buy the latest Mac Mini with a 2.0ghz CPU. I am going to upgrade the memory to 4GB myself. I am also going to order a pair of Logitech Z 4i Speakers. They are a small 2.1 system, as well as a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. USB 750gb HDD connected as well with all media.

Yes the speakers might be a bit crap, but its more about the picture at the moment and being able to play HD quality stuff. I cna upgrade speakers at a later date.

Connections as :
Mac Mini Display Port > DP to HDMI adapter > HDMI port on TV
Mac Mini audio out 3.5mm > Logitech speakers.

First of all - the Mac Mini has the 9400m chipset. This will of course mean it will easily play 1080p mkv?

Also what resolution can I expect? The adapter claims it goes to 1920x1080 (HD) - so should that be what the resolution is when OSX boots up on the Mini? If it is anything lower than 1920x1080, then any movies I play will not be true HD quality right?

My total costs is £624. A lot more than I wanted to pay on the entire system to replace the Apple TV. Although I should get about 200 quid return on my 160gb aTV.

Anyone see any flaws in my proposed setup?

Thanks.

Thomss

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
Chill dude :p
Plex/XBMC/Boxee etc don't use the 9400M so at the moment that doesn't matter at all. maybe in the future, who knows.

but anyway, the current Mac-Mini has played everything single 1080P MKV file so far that I've chucked at it... however, since my TV is 720P I try to stick to that res though. just to keep the file size down a bit.

You have a keyboard / mouse etc? I have the Harmony One and Mini Logitech bluetooth keyboard. which work well.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Gonna use Screen sharing to control and Plex or XBMC and remote as Media Centre S/W

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Well, its arrived.

However - me being the retard that I am has ordered a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, not a Mini Display Port to HDMI. :/ Have ordered the right adapter now but won't be here till Friday.

Not in a rush though :). Will give me some time to set OSX up.

Any recomendations to make my HTPC experience on the Mini any nicer? :)

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Get some backdrops.

http://softe.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/backdrops-for-aeon-skin-in-xbmc/

Ehm, a sidenote tho. You said the whole reason you were getting a mini was 1080p? But your TV's resolution is only 1024x720? :O

Oh Yeah. LOLZ.

Well - it will do 720p which is still damn fine quality. To be honest I usually rip at 720p anyway. At least with the Mini I am set if I do want to get a True HD TV. The thing with Apple TV is it will handle 720p but the profile settings have to be set to low otherwise it won't play.

In the real world on a 37" screen, is the difference between 720p and 1080p very noticeable?

Thanx.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
So the real reason you changed from atv to mac mini is so you can play high profile 720p material - not 1080p.

I agree that it would be good if the atv could play high profile (at 720p - it does at SD). Then the bitrate limit of 5Mbps wouldn't be as much of a limit.

Not a big deal for me so far since all my HD is from TV - however it would be nice if the source high profile H.264 could be left as pass through, since there is a major cost associated with transcoding that down.

In your case I assume you want to be able to play acquired HD MKV files which are all high profile - and don't want to have to convert then down to low profile, lower frame rate.

Cheers Ed

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
So the real reason you changed from atv to mac mini is so you can play high profile 720p material - not 1080p.

I agree that it would be good if the atv could play high profile (at 720p - it does at SD). Then the bitrate limit of 5Mbps wouldn't be as much of a limit.

Not a big deal for me so far since all my HD is from TV - however it would be nice if the source high profile H.264 could be left as pass through, since there is a major cost associated with transcoding that down.

In your case I assume you want to be able to play acquired HD MKV files which are all high profile - and don't want to have to convert then down to low profile, lower frame rate.

Cheers Ed

...and by that you mean 'you want to be able to play the mkv files that you download off the internet aka you pirate whore' :p

No... I buy all my movies legitimately from a mobile DVD sales man. Carries them around in a big bag. He ALWAYS has the DVD's before anyone else, pretty much straight after the film is released. Says he has a contact in the movie business. :cool:

Thomss

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
I think Stuppy just got the Mac Mini so he can watch filth from the net in his living room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.