Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mooshoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
Hi, I'm a newbie, so bear with me.
I just got a 15" PBG4/Combo three days ago. I have several questions that you might be able help with.

1) I'm new to the Mac world, but it seems like hardware is a bit more difficult to find. Are Apple hardware proprietary? Meaning, does it have to be OE?
2) I want to upgrade my memory soon. From the factory it comes with 256 I think (I didn't get the Superdrive). It feels like when I'm running Office apps and other stuff at the same it slows down quite a bit (especially during loading). Where can I go to get more memory? I want something that'll integrate seamlessly with my mac. Can you recommend?
3) I want to set up my wireless network soon. I need Aiport Extreme hub, the Extreme card (my model didn't have one installed), and what else? Can it be from another manufacturer? Any recommendations?
Thanks a million!

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Hi there,

As for your first questions, Apple hardware is a little bit more difficult to find, but not impossible. Just about all hardware that is available to Windows is available to Mac. Your second question is about memory. I would recommend that you buy your memory from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com). They have excellent prices, products and support. While I can't vouge for them personally, I have heard a lot of great things about them, so I would recommend buying there. Your last quesion is about Aiport. All you need is the card and the base station and you're set. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a wireless base station from another company and it will still work. I don't really know though, I haven't tried it, but maybe someone else will know. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your purchase,
JOD8FY

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
what kind of apple hardware are you talking about?
go to apple.com, apple retail store or compusa. those are major outlets.

ram: i got mine from crucial. fast, reasonably priced and reliable. you can go for budget RAMs and if they are not faulty, it will work just fine. crucial, from what i hear, offers better quality RAMs that are less likely to be faulty.

airport: you will need to buy the airport extreme card from apple. it will work with any third party wireless router, not just apple's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.