Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismac2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
Going on 5 hours waiting for activation, but that's not the point of this post.

Occasionally, when pressing the sleep/wake button to wake up my iPhone 3GS, the backlight won't turn on, you can just barely see the screen. I have to put it to sleep and wake it again for the backlight to turn on.

Has anyone else seen that?

UnbornApple

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I have not seen that. I would take it to Apple to have a loog at it.

Also activation can take up to 24 hours so it should get there some time soon.

Did you port your number over? because if you did that can take a while.

UnbornApple

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Also this has just come from AT&T

"Due to current iPhone activation volumes, it may take up to 48 hours to resolve your issue. We will send a confirmation to {e-mail address redacted} once your activation is complete. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes. You can set up your iPhone and enjoy features that do not require access to the AT&T network. To get started, please disconnect and then reconnect your iPhone."

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I haven't seen that problem with the backlight, but I'm noticing that Auto Brightness doesn't seem to meter as efficiently on this 3GS as it did on my 3G. It seems to evaluate better in brighter light conditions, but in, say, a darkened living room, it doesn't brighten the screen enough to see it well without eye strain. I have to turn off Auto Brightness and adjust manually. Not a big thing, but something to whine about, nevertheless.

hunny

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
I've seen this backlight problem! I thought I was the only one experiencing it since no one else seems to be having problems with their iPhone 3GS. I brought my first one back to the Apple store and they gave me a new one. The replacement is also doing the same...a lot more often than the old one did! I even tried to turn off my Auto Brightness to see if this would make a difference, but it didn't. I am taking it to the Genius bar again tomorrow. =(

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
May 8, 2006
I have also seen this issue although it's not common.

Could you guys provide some updates on what Apple Genius says?

hunny

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Just found another thread on here that has more people complaining about the same problem. I googled Backlight issues with 3gs and the link to the thread on macrumors came up. Here is the link: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/730048/

I will print it out and take it to the genius bar with me on Wednesday.

tzolotova

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
backlight problem

Hi,
I have the same problem with backlight. It's not turn on at all. what people from the genius bar advise you?

AdrianWoodward

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Sometimes the coil inside it blowns.

There is some good info on Youtube on the nature of this problem, type in 'iphone backlight fix for Damaged or Dim screen' in the Youtube Search and you should find the solution showing a blue logic board and how to fix it.

Hope this helps? :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.