Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple service provider MacMedics recently had the opportunity to examine a counterfeit iPhone 3G purchased by a customer off of eBay. The packaging and external appearance of the device appear convincingly genuine at first glance, demonstrating increasing sophistication from such counterfeiters.

The software, however, is the difficult part to imitate, and this is where the counterfeit iPhone falls flat. See the video for a complete walkthrough of the device.

Article Link: Counterfeit iPhone 3Gs Becoming More Convincing at First Glance

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Who actually buys these things?

People who think they are real or people who wanna look cool but spend less?

I just don't get it!

iPhone FAIL!

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I'd like to get one of these just out of interest.

Start a collection of the best fake iPhones.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
That's a pretty amazing fake actually. The average person on the street who had never used an iPhone before probably would not know the difference. If they had put a capacitive screen on this it would be pretty darn close.

sonny55

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I can only imagine that it would respond better if he took the plastic off. I don't understand the point of him leaving it on. Was he trying to protect his investment from harmful fingerprints?

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Ok I don't understand one thing.

These people obviously do not care about IP rights, so why don't they hack the firmware and put an iPhone OS on it? Too much programing work? Surely more "programing" went into developing that crap OS.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I can only imagine that it would respond better if he took the plastic off. I don't understand the point of him leaving it on. Was he trying to protect his investment from harmful fingerprints?

There's no plastic to take off. The plastic he mentions is the actual touch surface.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
holy crap....i'd hate to be the person that bought that off ebay....that's why i only buy/sell within the US...i know there are a lot of people outside the us that are perfectly trustworthy but just don't take the risk.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Well, it is much better than the original iPhone clones we saw a few years back. It is still horrible though.

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Ok I don't understand one thing.

These people obviously do not care about IP rights, so why don't they hack the firmware and put an iPhone OS on it? Too much programing work? Surely more "programing" went into developing that crap OS.

No, its much, much more work to get the actual iPhone OS to run on non-iPhone hardware than to make something that just looks like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.