Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dos0711

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
My nieces iMac was crashing randomly but seem to crash sooner each time. I took a gamble that it might be heat related and installed the freeware fan control program. I sped up the fans and she has not crashed since.

BaconMoustache

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
All Read!!!!! Time Machine Is The Cause

For anyone who is wondering about this issue... Please check to see if your time machine automatic backup is on. If you are running time machine you will be kicked out of the Sims 3 every time you play as soon as the time machine starts to back up. I have been dealing with the issue since I received the game and the nimrods at EA couldn't come close to figuring it out so I never even called them. Hopefully ES will patch or update the game to fix their complete ignorance of an application that ships on EVERY new mac (Which you almost would need a new one for the graphical requirements). Anyway, Please turn Time machine off before playing The Sims 3 and enjoy hours of non stop play time. If you do not have Time Machine running and you are logged out unexpectedly then I can help you and I'm sorry.:apple:

wcalderini

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
It's probably both....

Been playing on a 2.4 08 Macbook Pro with the 256MB 8600.
Have not played much on the "mac" side as I figured, and rightly so, that I would get much better performance and graphics on my Windows 7 partition under bootcamp.
Was playing a bit of a marathon session the other night, 2+ hours or so, and had a sudden "blink out" with no warning. Game just went "poof". No dialogue
boxes or anything....no "windows" explanation, so it leads me to believe that it was graphic card related and possibly an overheat issue. (Frustrating as I had not "saved" in quite some time, LOL)
The comp was getting pretty warm, but nowhere NEAR the levels of heat that WoW typically puts out, so it may be Sims 3 specific.

As a side note, my daughter is ALSO playing Sims3 on a white MacBook w/4GB ram and the old X3100 Intel integrated video. IMO, and hers, the game was nearly unplayable on the mac side of things, but it is highly playable on the the WinXP partition she has under bootcamp. (I did download and install the latest X3100 drivers as well, though)

She lags when she has an in game "party" but seems to be pretty smooth around "medium graphic settings at native resolution.

Hope this helps.

WRC

stamen11

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
How do I access the time machine settings?

How can i find the time machine to de-activate it?

fr00b

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Those that are running Sims 3 using SMC Fan Controller to keep the system cool, what do you set the minimum fan rpm to? 3600, or the full 6200?

Josseposs

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I played the sims 3 for a while without problems, on this macbook:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.0073.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

After playing it for a month or so, it suddenly shut down when my macbook got very hot (I had been playing 2 hours).

Now, it shuts down when the game is loading, even before I get to the neighbourhood screen! And my macbook isn't hot.

Oh, and I don't use Time Machine!

issyybaaker

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
sims 3

i really need help, i havent got a mac but my windows vista is doing the exact same thing, after switching on the sims it all fine but when i click on a saved game or new game it loads but then switches it self off, i dont know if it was updating that caused this because the last i played it i updated the game or something else, and my video card and everything that the sims 3 requires is all ok and ive uninstalled and installed and it was all fine but then after a couple weeks it did it again! :S so please help!

MacConverted

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Just to confirm that turning off Time Machine seems to avoid intermittent game quits.

Hi there,

I'm a very new mac converted and bought the latest white macbook and also the Sims3...

Been able to install fine and start creating 2 characters but the game froze when I tried to move into a new home!

Anyhow, by ready all the threads in this forum, could you please tell me how do you turn off Time Machine?

Many thanks

Jessie25r

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
I've been having the same problem. Sims3 will just shut down after 30-hour of gameplay. I don't use time machine and I've checked that my mac is meeting all the requierments. I used to play in on my PC and it worked fine so I don't know whats going on...

any help is greatly appreciated!

slickviewz

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Understanding The Problem.

As it turns out, The Sims, is a 32bit program that only allows itself to use 2gb of VRAM. Once you reach that cap it will shut off. I.E. send you to desktop. Users have been able to fix this problem on a PC (http://www.soulfulsims.com) and it has worked for seemingly everyone who has tried.

I am on a mac, and I am trying to figure out a way to get this working on my OS. So if we can figure this out we might have a fix on our hands.

Google "Sims 3 LAA" or "Sims 3 Virtual MEmory" for further confirmation.

--Slickster:apple:

mkgilly

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Help

Can you please tell me where on my computer 'application and disc utility is
and also what is the time machine on the game so i can try turning that off.
Thank you:mad:

adnurahs

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
As it turns out, The Sims, is a 32bit program that only allows itself to use 2gb of VRAM. Once you reach that cap it will shut off. I.E. send you to desktop. Users have been able to fix this problem on a PC (http://www.soulfulsims.com) and it has worked for seemingly everyone who has tried.

I am on a mac, and I am trying to figure out a way to get this working on my OS. So if we can figure this out we might have a fix on our hands.

Google "Sims 3 LAA" or "Sims 3 Virtual MEmory" for further confirmation.

--Slickster:apple:

This makes a lot of sense. I see there have not been any replies since November, but I don't see that there has been a fix anywhere on line. I've been searching on Google.

Slickster, have you found a fix or have you given up at this point? I have just encountered this problem myself and I think what you said is the culprit. I hope this can be fixed. I don't want to abandon my game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.