Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I am planning on getting the new iPhone in June and have 1 question:

If I schedule the alarm to go off daily in the morning (to wake me up for work), am I able to silence the entire phone the night before and still have the alarm go off?

Currently, I have an older Blackberry and I set the alarm to go off each day at 6am....but every night, I put my phone on silent (no sound, no vibrate). This prevents me or my wife from being woke up in the middle of the wee hours by a phone call or text message or email. However, the alarm will still go off (the alarm isn't affected by the silent feature of the phone).

thanks

m477h3w

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
I am planning on getting the new iPhone in June and have 1 question:

If I schedule the alarm to go off daily in the morning (to wake me up for work), am I able to silence the entire phone the night before and still have the alarm go off?

Yes :D My iPhone is on silent every night. Calls and texts do not sound, but the alarm still does.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Yep, the Alarm volume is based off of the ringer volume, but even if you have the phone on silent you will still hear the alarm.

buhusky

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
For those of you who want to mute all notification sounds such as email, calendar, im, and sms sounds but still want to receive calls and alarms at night, there is a website that sells a device called the Silent Night. I have one that I plug into my dock. It's tiny and works great. I still get emergency calls and my alarm still works but no more waking up to junk emails, text messages etc anymore. For me, it was well worth the money. If I remember correctly the website is:

http://www.thesilentnight.com

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
How do I stop my alarm when it goes off? When I pick up my phone when it goes off there is only the option to snooze and I want a STOP button or know how to just fully turn it off until the next day (without having to flick the on/off switch in the Clock.app)

thanks

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Yes this is possible and also a great feature when traveling! I personally leave on vibrate even when in silent mode so the phone does vibrate when I get e-mails or texts but my wife and I are heavy sleepers and it doesn’t bother us.

biscuits99

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
How do I stop my alarm when it goes off? When I pick up my phone when it goes off there is only the option to snooze and I want a STOP button or know how to just fully turn it off until the next day (without having to flick the on/off switch in the Clock.app)

thanks

When the alarm goes off, the snooze option is in the centre of the screen. If you look at the bottom of the screen there is a slide option to disable the alarm.

Or at least that's how it works on my 3GS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.