Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Can anyone tell me what the Apple "stock" 500GB hard drive is if you decided to overpay and have Apple put it in as a BTO. With the new EFI update seeming to lock out certain user upgraded HD's I would like to buy two 500GB'ers and use the optibay device, but only with the same HD as Apple stocks.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
The new one. 1.7 I think. It enabled the 3.0 GB/s interface. Many users who have self upgraded have reported their HDD's have been getting a lot of beachballs since.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
hmm, I haven't noticed it at all on any of my Macs. I don't think that would have anything to do with a HDD not working. Any 3GB SATA drive is compatible with 1.5GB interface, same is true with a 1.5GB drive, it would work on a 3GB interface.

That's interesting though, and I'll have to keep an eye on my Macs.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I just read about this tonight and it very well may be my problem I was having with a Seagate 500gb hard drive installed. I just bought my Macbook and had the problem ever since day 2 of turning it on. As soon as I turned my macbook on I updated all of the software and didn't think that could be the problem.

I hope that Apple wouldn't keep people from buying/installing their own HDD's.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
The HDD's apple use are no different from the ones you can buy from Newegg or your preferred vendor, all the do is slap a Apple branded sticker on it in place of the normal sitcker. Every HDD I have replaced has been a standard Seagate, that can be had from a number of places.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The HDD's apple use are no different from the ones you can buy from Newegg or your preferred vendor, all the do is slap a Apple branded sticker on it in place of the normal sitcker.

It's true that they're just branded, but that doesn't really explain the troubles people are having with non-Apple HDDs and the EFI 1.7 update.

asaj

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I just replaced the 160gb stock drive in my new 13" with a 500gb Hitachi from newegg. The 160gb I removed was the exact same model Hitachi as the one I replaced it with, aside from the capacity difference. Label was the same and everything, except it had a small Apple logo on it. I swapped it out, installed, OS X, and updated everything, no problems at all.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
I just replaced the 160gb stock drive in my new 13" with a 500gb Hitachi from newegg. The 160gb I removed was the exact same model Hitachi as the one I replaced it with, aside from the capacity difference. Label was the same and everything, except it had a small Apple logo on it. I swapped it out, installed, OS X, and updated everything, no problems at all.

Are you running the new 1.7 firmware? I was considering doing just what you did, but wasn't sure if this combination would be problematic.

Thanks,
Mark

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I think the problem is more of a YMMV. I have done this is BOTH my Macbooks, and a buddy of mine who uses a Macbook as well. No problems what so ever, running all the latest updates.

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
I have seen different models

I think the 250s are fujitsu.

I think the 320s are fujitsu.

T think the 500s are hitachi.

pdater

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
In my MBP (13"), I just replaced my factory 250 gb 5400 rpm drive with a WD 320 gB 7200 rpm drive. Not only does it work perfectly, but the WD draws less current .53A vs .7A. Unfortnately, WD does not make a 7200 rpm drive with 500 gb capacity and a low current draw.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hmmm. No offense, but we really need someone who was lazy/stupid enough to splurge for the Apple installed one and just tell us the model. Yeah, I know all they do is print an Apple logo on the label, but if you buy the same exact model from NewEgg or wherever, then there should not be a problem.

Maybe I'll just call Apple....

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Yeah, I know all they do is print an Apple logo on the label, but if you buy the same exact model from NewEgg or wherever, then there should not be a problem.

Maybe I'll just call Apple....

So you're saying, in theory, that none of the people having issues with the EFI 1.7 update have the exact same model as Apple offers? That makes sense on paper, but I can't help but wonder if Apple has the OEMs write a special version of the firmware for them.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If you installed the 1.7 Firmware Update ----> OOPS!!!

If you have not done so, than don't.

We now have two new MBP's ... 13" .... and WILL NOT be doing the firmware update.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
My WD Scorpio blue worked fine after the update. Also, if your HD does go bust after the update, surely you can still buy another and be under the cost apple would charge you just for them to fit one!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.