Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released two new television commercials for the iPhone 3GS and posted them to its ad gallery.

Voice Control: Demonstrates the new Voice Control feature available on the iPhone 3GS, showing both the calling and music voice functions.

003654-voice_control_500.png

Copy and Paste: Demonstrates the copy and paste functions available on the iPhone 3GS and in iPhone OS 3.0 for other devices. The ad shows copy and pasting of phone numbers, formatted text and images from Web pages, and maps between applications.

003654-copy_paste_500.png

Article Link: Two New iPhone 3GS Ads: 'Voice Control' and 'Copy and Paste'

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
I hav always think while looking at the ads; gosh i wish my iPhone worked as advertise. My voice control makes me lough.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
pretty lame they're advertising these like they're revolutionary.
Or maybe it's just because everyone was complaining about these two things and they are trying to reverse that.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Finally, I have "discovered" an excellent song without Apple's help. This song is Matt Costa's "Mr. Pitiful" and is a truly excellent song. I discovered it while inside a gas station, and I heard it playing on the radio! It was shortly after featured in Apple's iPod nano ad (the green iPod nano has the album art).

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
With "voice control", I can see a lot of non-iPhone users saying "I've had that feature on my phone for years".

Kinda embarrassing, but as somebody else has mentioned it was a feature missing that is now standard, maybe they are trying to make that known.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
These commercials have been playing since Friday it Saturday. Not exactly breaking news. I've been watching them during Wimbledon on ESPN2 potentially all last week.

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Give me a friggin break! The original Mac128 had cut copy and paste in 1984!

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/ads/apple-mac/brochure4b.jpg

The original Palm Pilot back in 1996 had cut copy and paste!

Voice dialing has been pretty standard stuff on cell phones since 2000!

While the iphone has some very innovative interface controls, it has been very weak on features as compared to something like the Palm Treo.

As a former Palm Treo user, I much prefer the iPhone style, but really lament all of the features that are only now (or as of YET to come to the iPhone) such as cut copy paste, bluetooth keyboards, video, global search, bluetooth stereo, bluetooth syncing, syncing to dos, laptop tethering, streamlined email reading between accounts, quick backups, list view and categories for applications, no limits on apps, removable battery, removable media, IR, turn by turn navigation, mms, and voice dialing - all of which were on the the Palm Treo - 5 years ago!

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Those Apple ads on their site... Since I have Safari (now version 4) I am always getting a perfect sound but just this spinning radar display and NO video images. Never mind if "small", "large" -- it makes no difference. "This is the new iPhone!" -- radar?

BTW it works fine with Firefox. A bit painful, Apple, isn't it?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Voice control and copy, cut & paste have been major detractors since 2007, and now they aren't detractors at all. As for the Palm Pre, one of my brothers said that he finally got everything synced after (18) days of tech support averaging about 2-4 hours a day and some days totaling 6 hours in a day. Another downside for the Palm Pre, he still can't sync all of his videos, tv shows, music and contacts.....:eek::eek::eek:

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Finally, I have "discovered" an excellent song without Apple's help. This song is Matt Costa's "Mr. Pitiful" and is a truly excellent song. I discovered it while inside a gas station, and I heard it playing on the radio! It was shortly after featured in Apple's iPod nano ad (the green iPod nano has the album art).

i got it as free download of the week, back in the day.

and it was on the trailer for ghost town

tax

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
copy a map ... o rly?

the end of the "copy-paste" clip is kind of a fake. "you can copy a map" ???
thats a simple "image" of a google-map shown there ...
or did i miss sth, is there really a "copy" function hidden somewhere in the maps app? (don't even try to fiddle with maps.google.com inside mobile safari ...)

cheers
tax

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
the end of the "copy-paste" clip is kind of a fake. "you can copy a map" ???
thats a simple "image" of a google-map shown there ...
or did i miss sth, is there really a "copy" function hidden somewhere in the maps app? (don't even try to fiddle with maps.google.com inside mobile safari ...)

You're right, the ad shows copying a map that is a Google search result. There doesn't seem to be any way to copy from Maps.

That ad isn't very good... I would have expected them to focus more on the intelligent copy in Safari. And the voice control ad should have focused more on how you can say things like "play more songs like this".

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Yeah, the voice control features is/was a nice idea but its failure to connect to Bluetooth headsets (at least in 3.0) is a big failure in my opinion. Plus, I’ve noticed it works great for me at calls but is terrible at the other advertised features such as “play this artist” or “what’s playing.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.