Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
As you can see in about:config

browser.gesture.pinch.in
browser.gesture.pinch.out
browser.gesture.swipe.up
browser.gesture.swipe.down
browser.gesture.swipe.left
browser.gesture.swipe.right
browser.gesture.twist.left
browser.gesture.twist.right

pinch, swipe, and twist.

possible functions you can map the gestures to are:
* cmd_newNavigator - new Firefox window
* cmd_handleBackspace - I’m not sure, but I think this mimics the command which runs when backspace is hit
* cmd_handleShiftBackspace - Same as shift-backspace
* cmd_newNavigatorTab - opens new tab
* Browser:OpenFile - brings up open file dialogue
* Browser:SavePage - opens save file prompt
* Browser:SaveFrame - save frame prompt
* Browser:SendLink - sends link to default email client
* cmd_pageSetup
* cmd_print - opens print dialogue
* cmd_printPreview - opens print preview dialogue
* cmd_close - closes tab
* cmd_closeWindow - closes window with all tabs
* cmd_toggleTaskbar
* cmd_CustomizeToolbars
* cmd_quitApplication - cmd-q
* View:pageSource - opens new window with source code
* View:pageInfo - opens new window with information about media and elements in the page
* View:FullScreen - toggles fullscreen mode
* cmd_find - opens find dialogue (cmd-f)
* cmd_findAgain - runs previous find on page
* cmd_findPrevious - runs previous find in reverse order
* Browser:AddBookmarkAs - adds bookmark and opens interface to add details
* Browser:BookmarkAllTabs - adds all open tabs to bookmarks
* Browser:Home - Goes to home
* Browser:Back - goes back, does not accept modifiers
* Browser:BackOrBackDuplicate - goes back or duplicates into new tab or window depending on modifier new
* Browser:Forward - goes forward, does not accept modifiers
* Browser:ForwardOrForwardDuplicate - goes forward or duplicates into new tab or window depending on modifier new
* Browser:Stop - stops loading of page
* Browser:Reload - reloads page, does not accep modifiers
* Browser:ReloadOrDuplicate - reloads or duplicates into new tab or window depending on modifier new
* Browser:ReloadSkipCache
* Browser:NextTab
* Browser:prevTab
* cmd_fullZoomReduce - zooms out
* cmd_fullZoomEnlarge - zooms in
* cmd_fullZoomReset - reset’s to default size
* cmd_fullZoomToggle
* Browser:OpenLocation - selects awesomebar (same as cmd L)
* Tools:Search
* Tools:Downloads
* Tools:Addons
* Tools:Sanitize
* Tools:privateBrowsing
* History:UndoCloseTab - opens previously closed tab

MiataMac

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Any idea what the command is for "new tab" or "open tab"? I would like to open a new tab when swiping up. (closing tab when swiping down works perfectly).

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Firefox is sure better, I have to go map gestures myself. Safari has this by default and no gesture mapping. *sarcasm*

this is type of response I should expect from an apple fanboy for sure, you didnt even bother to try it first, in which case you will find firefox offers as many, and more trackpad gestures than safari by default.

The OP is for further customization.

or you think offering few options and no way of adjusting is so much better?:eek:

I guess you will keep making this type of obviously useless and false attack whenever you can. But all those statements of yours put together doesn't portray an image of facts-based reasoning of any sort. Maybe you want to change a bit of that next time. :p

Also, I truly hope you dont represent majority of safari users when you making those statements like above.

Any idea what the command is for "new tab" or "open tab"? I would like to open a new tab when swiping up. (closing tab when swiping down works perfectly).
cmd_newNavigatorTab

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
Firefox is sure better, I have to go map gestures myself. Safari has this by default and no gesture mapping. *sarcasm*

You're so right! I hate having to go and map gestures myself. One quick question though, do you know what the default gesture for switching between tabs is in Safari?

Oh, wait...

Jon-Luke

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2009
Cape Town
On the MBP if you use two fingers to swipe up or down it scrolls the page like everything else - BUT - if you use three finger swipe down it takes you to the bottom of the page instantly and a three finger swipe up takes you to the top. I'm finding that quite handy!

:cool::apple:

MiataMac

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
cmd_newNavigatorTab

You added that one to your list *after* I asked, right? Cause I'm certain I looked it through several times and even tried a few possible combinations, without luck. Please don't tell me it's been there all the time, I don't wanna get glasses :D

jon-luke said:
if you use three finger swipe down it takes you to the bottom of the page instantly and a three finger swipe up takes you to the top. I'm finding that quite handy!

It sure is handy. I prefer to use swipe up/down to open/close tabs though, as I often use only my touchpad during the evenings, I rarely find myself having to scroll to the top or the bottom of a page.

After Firefox 3.5 supports multi-touch, I've removed the MultiClutch input manager, that lets you assign stuff to gestures. This also removed my swipe up/down functionatly in safari, unfortunately. I'm not too fond of having too many input managers in my system, but it's probably no big deal if I'll be using Firefox as my primary browser again now. Used to use Safari while it was 4.0 and 4.0.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.