Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assscat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Hi,

I want an old iBook mainly for surfing and email, nothing too intensive. Would an iBook G3 500Mhz 640MB RAM suffice? Just how slow is that?

There's one coming up on eBay with those specs that doesn't look too expensive, so I want to know if it'll be able to cope with Tiger and the new Safari? (I think it's got Panther installed currently.)

Thanks for any advice.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
My wife had a similar iBook with less RAM. Eventually it ended up just collecting dust. It was too slow for her tastes, and the lack of battery life and no AirPort card made it nearly useless. That computer will meet the basic system requirements for Tiger, but don't blow them out of the water or anything. You'll notice some lag due to RAM and the slower processor.

In my opinion, you'd be better served by waiting for one with better specs.

mathlete123

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Hmmm...

Well, we used one of those at school running tiger. It just died, going down after 7 years of glory. I understand that price is a problem, but have you considered a netbook (hackintosh? I hear the Dell 10v is doing well)? Those aren't too expensive, can run leopard, and are certainly MUCH more powerful and likely to last than an at least 5 or so year old ibook. The ibook is okay, not great, for your needs. I fear that it will last not much longer than it already has, though.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
My 900mhz G3 was good enough for youtube and other flash sites. It also had 640mb(max) memory and a fast 7,200rpm hard drive.

500mhz is the slowest G3 Dual USB iBook. Is it the one with 64mb or 128mb soldered? Either way, it will be OK for just basic web browsing and email or just a throw-around laptop you can carry around the house. Try finding a G4 though as those can be found for $200(probably the same price for that G3), otherwise I wouldn't purchase it for more than $100USD.

assscat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
OK, thanks for the advice. I think I'll give this one a miss :)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Probably a wise move, unless you're buying them as some sort of collectors piece, or merely for their aesthetics (especially the G3 clamshells), they aren't too useful besides typing.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Good decision to give it a miss. That's a Rev. A of the white iBook G3. As others have said, it's probably OK for surfing, but it would be slow. If you can find an iBook G4 or at least 700MHz iBook G3 it would be a lot faster, should not be much more expensive.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Whatever you do, if you buy a white iBook G3 make sure it is the 500 MHz version. The later versions all had horrible issues. (This one had a few, but not nearly as many.)

A G4 would be best.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Whatever you do, if you buy a white iBook G3 make sure it is the 500 MHz version. The later versions all had horrible issues. (This one had a few, but not nearly as many.)

A G4 would be best.

For surfing, I'd take my chances with a 900mhz G3 rather than the 500mhz just for usability. Chances are the price would be about the same given the age of the platform.

With that said, if you need a cheap internet machine, the minimum I'd look at is a 1ghz G4.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK

A G4 would be best.

I forgot about the logic board/display issue! Yes, avoid the 600MHz to 800MHz G3, it would be a gamble. I think the 900MHz should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.