Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I have fansubbed episodes of an anime which I'd like to burn to DVD with nice little menus using iDVD.

Of course, iDVD likes nothing but .mov files.

So I try to convert the AVIs to .mov files.

...they come out at 10GB a piece.

Obviously this won't fit on a DVD.

So, can someone help me?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
It converts everything you feed it. It will all get compressed to fit on a DVD though. The important thing isn't how large the file is, but how long the movie is. A 10GB file might be about 40 minutes in length so that's 40 minutes off your DVD's 60 minutes.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
As the above poster said, the size of the QT movie is irrelevant--only the length. iMovie works with DV streams, which are 4MB/second and only lightly compressed. iDVD compresses and burns MPEG2, which has much higher compression and, in the case of iDVD4, can compress 2 hours of video to fit on a DVD. The less you're squeezing in, the better the quality, of course, but it'll work in any case.

So, if you can open and play the AVI in Quicktime Player, and you've got QuickTime Pro (worth the $20), this is all you have to do:

Open the videos in QT player. Choose export from the menu, and select "dv stream". Make sure your video is in NTSC (unless of course you're from a PAL country), and that the sound is included. This will export a big, ol' chunk of video in .dv format.

You can then drop that file in the Media folder in an iMovie project folder, and open iMovie. When you do, it'll ask if you want to add the clip(s) to the clips pane. Say yes, and you're done--now just put the project together and feed it to iDVD.

Two caveats: You might be able to drop the .dv file directly into an iDVD window and have it recognize it; never tried, but it's worth a shot if you don't need to adjust anything.

And, iMovie may have trouble importing .dv clips bigger than 2GB (9 minutes); earlier versions did, anyway. If it does, and the direct-drag-into-iDVD doesn't work, just cut the AVI up into chunks (copy and paste pieces of it into new movies in QT player), export those, and put them together in iMovie. I've done this (with anime I fansubbed myself) and had no noticable glitches at the breaks.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Thanks for the help, man.

I tried converting to DV format and plopping it into iMovie, but the video and audio were out of sync...so I'm reconverting at a different audio rate. If this doesn't work, I think I may just as well give up. :(

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
When you export as a .dv stream, don't forget to turn on locked audio--that seems to help with synch issues. Also make sure you've got the latest version of the DivX codec, since it cleans up some issues with funky .avi audio.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I'm just about to give up...

Encoding to DV stream not only gives teh video funky aspect ratio, but the audio skips, also like it's skipping every 10 seconds.

Any other ideas?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Okay, get this.

Since iMovie or iDVD wouldn't work with the AVI and Quicktime ruined it as far as a DV stream, I put it in Toast 6 and exported it as a DV stream using that.

...turns out it worked perfectly.

lol.

Anyway, now my question is that I thought DVDs could hold more than one measly hour of video...I don't want to waste an entire DVD on just to episodes.

tvg75

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Help anybody can help me burn quicktime videos to dvd ?

Hi, I have a quicktime Arthur PBS episode and I want to burn it in on idvd ? How do I do this ? write eferrucci@aol.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.