Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacDailyNews has obtained an internal AT&T memo promoting the record-breaking nature of the iPhone 3GS launch on Friday, June 19th.
iLaunch day 2009 was one for the record books, as AT&T customers scrambled to get their hands on the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.

Here's a look at some of the milestones we achieved:

* Best-ever sales day in our retail stores
* Second-largest traffic day in our retail stores
* Most transactions processed via our IT systems in a single day
* Most upgrade eligibility checks in a single day
* Largest order day in att.com history
* Largest features sales day in att.com history
Furthermore, AT&T notes that it had surpassed the 2008 iPhone 3G launch sales numbers by noon on the iPhone 3GS launch day and sustained its record-setting sale pace for eleven straight hours.

Despite shorter lines on launch day than in 2008, due in large part to online availability, Apple announced that the iPhone 3GS had reached over one million sales in the first three days of availability, on par with the performance of the iPhone 3G at its 2008 launch.

Article Link: AT&T: iPhone 3GS Launch Broke Numerous Company Records

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Seems to me, with numbers like this, AT&T will for sure try and hold onto their exclusive agreement with Apple for as long as possible.

Seems like with every new iPhone released, there is greater and greater demand for the phone.

Come on AT&T, get the ball rolling for MMS!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
That's wht happens when you have a monopoly...or,uh.."exclusivity" over the iPhone.

and the way att thanks those customers is by not supporting major new features of the phone. insulting.

The way AT&T thanks their customers is by forcing them to buy $39.99 worth of voice minutes that most people never even use half of. I would rather pay a small fee for MMS and a small fee for tethering (if I choose to use those features), instead of being forced to buy voice minutes that I know I will never use.

-posted via iPhone

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I wonder what kind of records AT&T and Apple could...

have broken if they would have shown some love to their existing iPhone users. Also, I wonder how many existing iPhone customers paid $399 or $499 for a new iPhone 3GS.

I for one did not upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS and will not at that price. I understand why they did this. I'm going to wait and purchase the year 2010 model. Hopefully by then, AT&T's contract will have expired.

leshkanyc

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Biggest day

How about:
  • most network wide data outage day
  • most drop calls day
  • most missed calls str8 to voice mail day
  • most ridiculous update day when newly released OS made current phones slower
or am i wrong?

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
How Nice for Them

Maybe they'll sink some of that profit into their infrastructure.

Things are improving in my area. But they could always get better, and I know there are many places where 3G is either totally unavailable, or available only unreliably.

Good job, AT&T! Now show us you remember where all that $$$ comes from!

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Seems to me, with numbers like this, AT&T will for sure try and hold onto their exclusive agreement with Apple for as long as possible.

Seems like with every new iPhone released, there is greater and greater demand for the phone.

Come on AT&T, get the ball rolling for MMS!

I agree, they are going to want to keep the exclusivity; however, I think Apple is going to require some major concessions and improvements to keep it with AT&T alone. That tension couldn’t have been more evident at WWDC this year and it will likely continue until AT&T can keep up with the countless other carriers who are waiting with baited breath on what Apple wants.

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
With as much bit*hing about the lame performance of 3G in many areas, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised at why at&t hasn't launched mms/tethering. I would suspect that we won't see anything on this front until _after_ they are done with their "big network upgrade" that they've been touting. Better to have a bunch of people whining about the lack of mms/tethering than it is to have your entire user base b*tching about even worse overall network performance.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
have broken if they would have shown some love to their existing iPhone users. Also, I wonder how many existing iPhone customers paid $399 or $499 for a new iPhone 3GS.

I for one did not upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS and will not at that price. I understand why they did this. I'm going to wait and purchase the year 2010 model. Hopefully by then, AT&T's contract will have expired.

I paid the early upgrade price per the contract I willingly signed.I'm not the least bit upset about it.I'm a grownup.

If you"understand"why they did it why are you still whining?Do everyone a favor and let it go.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California

Guess what, you signed the contract. Nobody forced you to. You should have known. Cant fault anybody but yourself here.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

I gladly paid the $499 early upgrade price and I don't regret it at all.

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
My feelings are that it's a pure numbers game. Apple loves the money it gets from AT&T. But now that the numbers are slowing down as far as new subscribers of the iPhone, Apple will need to look for new avenues in which to get more people using the iPhone. That means Verizon. It's not what you did last year, it's the performance this year. Apple will need more subscribers if they want to be a major player. I think January we will see a new partner in addition to AT&T.

Apple still has the lead as far as quality, speed and applications. I think they will really be something in another few years, not that they are not already!

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
ATT hit the freakin lottery when it got the iPhone contract. The lottery!!!

They will sh*t an eggroll when other carriers get access to the iPhone. Better enjoy the lavish profits while you can ATT. Tick tock...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.