Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Apologies if there is a thread on this already...

I can see my apple tv in itunes when I connect the apple tv to the wireless connection on my router - laptop with itunes is also connected wirelessly.

If I wire my apple tv to the router and wire the laptop to the router I can see the apple tv in itunes.

However if I leave the apple tv wired but try to use the laptop wirelessly I cannot see it in itunes. Tried restarting everything but no joys.

Do you think my router is blocking access between the wired & wireless ports? I also can't use the iphone remote if the apple tv is wired but can if it is wireless.

if the router is blocking access is there any way in which to unblock it? I am using a netgear dg834g - not exactly sure what I would be looking to change if anything.

Any info I can provide to try and help just let me know,

Cheers.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
What is likely going on is that your wired network and your wireless network are two different networks (subnets) and not just two forms of the same network. What you need to do is to either connect the AppleTV to the wireless router, or connect the wireless router to the same router at the Apple TV, then set the wireless router to Bridge Mode (no DHCP) then just have one router giving out IP addresses (or your ISP's Modem/Router if supported).

TEG

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Are you sure you are connecting to a neigbors network. Had a friend do this.

Tup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Apple tv is connected directly to the modem/router all in one device that also provides the wireless - I will check the subnet settings but think it is on the same will double check. Will try fixing the ip settings see if that helps instead of the router providing. Will have to do this when I get back onshore though so a few days yet.

Nope definitely connecting through my wireless network and not a neighbours.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
what brand of router are you using, one of my old routers had a check box, something about letting the wireless and wired associate with each other, don't remember what it was though. although associate was the word it used.

Tup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
what brand of router are you using, one of my old routers had a check box, something about letting the wireless and wired associate with each other, don't remember what it was though. although associate was the word it used.

I'm using a Netgear dg834g

Tup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
I checked the isolation feature but it is already disabled...

I've had partial success since though.

Some steps I took:

Manually entered IP/Network details
Disconnected from Itunes Library
Restarted everything - MacBook, Router, AppleTV (this step had no effect previously)
ReConnected to Itunes Library

Now I am able to see the appletv however it seems temperamental - with each itunes restart (almost) the only way I've been able to get apple tv to reappear is by powering it up and down. MacBook restart - no effect.

I can ping the apple tv at any time though so it appears to be sitting on the network fine just not finding itunes... I read an article about there may be an issue with bonjour and to run some app via terminal but I've been unable to try it out - not exactly sure how it works or safe to do so really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.