Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
-Silicone/Rubber cases look like ugly multicolored condoms on a sleek looking device. They gather lint and stick in your pocket (Switcheasy, iSkin).

-Hard cases that look good tend to scratch the back of the iPhone when you remove the case or they let dust and dirt in (InCase, Air Jacket, Griffin Reveal).

-Leather cases are extremely expensive and have that ugly flap that makes you look like an idiot when you're on the phone (Vaja).

----

It's gotten to the point where I've reliazed that all iPhone cases suck. I've used a InCase Slider and Air Jacket - the Air Jacket let dust in and scratched the back of my phone and the Slider scratched the back of my phone and made bubbles on my screen protector. All rubber/silicone cases have to be multi-colored and look like ugly condoms on a sleek device.

I was looking forward to the Reveal but that, too, apparently sucks. The clear plastic scratches easy, it's been known to scratch the iPhone too.

Will we ever see an iPhone case that looks good, provide protection, and not add a ton of bulk?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
i have had 4 incase sliders and 2 right now. NONE have scratched the back or dinged up the bezel. the innocase too has been a great case with great protection.

2 great cases IMO, so I dont agree with anything you have mentioned

just because you dont like something, doesn't mean it sucks or someone else wouldn't like a certain case

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
So what about trying a zagg invisible shield for you? Won't help so much if you drop it but maybe with scratches.

Corbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Innocase - garbage. Why do they feel the need to put a huge hole by the Apple logo just to show it off? That's just another spot that isn't protecting my phone and letting dust in.

Invisible Shield - Gets dirty and gross in a matter of months. Expensive for what it is. The way the corners fold make it ugly.

----

I'd love to see something like the Air Jacket or Innocase actually adhere to the back of my iPhone so dust doesn't get in.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
incipio feathers all day.

I thought that too until my white feather got stained in 2 days usage by being in my pocket. :mad:

My new White 3Gs has a pretty big hairline crack in it from the bezel to the ringer switch, so im taking this time until I get it replaced to use my phone au natural.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
-Silicone/Rubber cases look like ugly multicolored condoms on a sleek looking device. They gather lint and stick in your pocket (Switcheasy, iSkin).

-Hard cases that look good tend to scratch the back of the iPhone when you remove the case or they let dust and dirt in (InCase, Air Jacket, Griffin Reveal).

-Leather cases are extremely expensive and have that ugly flap that makes you look like an idiot when you're on the phone (Vaja).

----

It's gotten to the point where I've reliazed that all iPhone cases suck. I've used a InCase Slider and Air Jacket - the Air Jacket let dust in and scratched the back of my phone and the Slider scratched the back of my phone and made bubbles on my screen protector. All rubber/silicone cases have to be multi-colored and look like ugly condoms on a sleek device.

I was looking forward to the Reveal but that, too, apparently sucks. The clear plastic scratches easy, it's been known to scratch the iPhone too.

Will we ever see an iPhone case that looks good, provide protection, and not add a ton of bulk?

I think your best bet is the iskin solo in black. Its not bulky, covers everything, I have not seen any dust, the inside is soft and would not scratch your phone, offers some shock protection, and will NOT collect lint or stick in your pocket. The material looks glossy and does not scratch easy at all. To me its pretty much the perfect design and material.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Opinions are like ***holes...

So you don't like the current crop of cases - go naked! I like my Rebel Serpent. Others hate it. For every curmudgeon like you who is cannot be pleased, there are HUNDREDS, if not thousands of people perfectly happy with their cases.

To each his/her own.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
The InvisbileShield looks like crap after a while. Mine was immaculate for the week after I put it on, then after a week bubbles started popping up and the corners began peeling. The screen got piss-yellow. I tore that SOB off and returned it. Right now I'm rocking a Feather with the Power Support Crystal.

coolbreeze07

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Auburn Hills
I thought that too until my white feather got stained in 2 days usage by being in my pocket. :mad:

My new White 3Gs has a pretty big hairline crack in it from the bezel to the ringer switch, so im taking this time until I get it replaced to use my phone au natural.

Yea thats no good, damn denim. I just give em a wipe down with a damp microfiber and havent had any staining. only time will tell tho

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
There are leather cases w/o a flap, like the leatherskin by ... uh, brain cloud... S___something. It's nice.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I have use no case since day one with my 1st Gen iPhone, none with may 3G, so I got the 3Gs and was going to go case-less. But I found a case, I thought, that did not take away form the phone but just added a little protection. The Barely There Case from Case-Mates. It's very light weight, and so far so good.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
It's not that iphone cases suck, it's that the iphone's backing really SUCKS!

If apple made the back out of aluminum, or brushed matte plastic, instead of smooth finger print attracting cheapo plastic, then maybe we wouldn't need cases... or maybe the existing cases wouldn't be so prone to scratching the current iphone.

Seriously, I love my iPhone, but it's made of crappy materials.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

This is a ridiculous statement. The iphone is built like a tank and is probably the best built phone i've owned and on the market (including the solid e71).

All phones are made with plastic. RIM does it (there flagship Bold). Palm does it (Pre is a toy). Nokia is notorious for crappy squeaky phones (too many to mention). They all do it.

Most people don't care about "ohhh i gotta little scratch from my case" or "damn my bezel is scuffed".

I'm happy with my Innocase and Incase Sliders (which has never scratched :rolleyes: the phone).

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
For me so far the Griffin Neo & InCase Slider (Metallic) have caused tiny deep scratches from debris. Mind you I'm pretty anal, cleaning it once a week + air duster to get all the dust/debris.

Having said that, mine still looks almost new (except for tiny blemishes mentioned already) and better than the average 3G iPhone user I've seen in person (our comapny is iPhone happy).

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
So because you go lucky means it couldn't happen.

I know for a FACT that my black incase slider scratched the heck out of the bottom of my bezel.

no luck, its kind of common sense to me to check the case out before i buy them

most of the problems where with the black and white models

extra flash means extra scratches

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
It's not that iphone cases suck, it's that the iphone's backing really SUCKS!

If apple made the back out of aluminum, or brushed matte plastic, instead of smooth finger print attracting cheapo plastic, then maybe we wouldn't need cases... or maybe the existing cases wouldn't be so prone to scratching the current iphone.

Agree to certain extent. I just feel the material used to build the iphone 3G feel cheap. I even think that the 2G build felt more expensive than the 3G. So if i have it my way, i would put the 3GS capabilities into a 2G body.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
So because you go lucky means it couldn't happen.

I know for a FACT that my black incase slider scratched the heck out of the bottom of my bezel.

^^^^ Yup.

I've had several Sliders on several iPhones, and all have resulted in a scratched bezel. I can't complain so much about the back, but definitely that highly sensitive polished silver strip surrounding the screen. I've read the not insignificant number of posts in here from folks who never had a scratch from a Slider, and I just scratch... my head. For what it's worth, I don't think the case scratches anything, I think it traps dust and grit particles, and THEY do the scratching. So the people who have never had a scratched bezel while using a Slider must be removing the case and cleaning religiously, or are otherwise purely blessed. Best of luck to 'em!

Edit: Gotta retract the statement about dust and grit, I fear. Just put the Slider from my old 3G on the 3GS, then removed it minutes later (doesn't fit quite right), and damned if the bottom of the bezel isn't scratched. That's after cleaning everything, phone and case parts, before putting them together. Couldn't have been dust & grit!

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
inexpensive solution....

If you like a retro look, for its front, the blue cozip is nice. Can get it on Amazon and other places pretty cheap.

There are better leather hard case holders. I used the Casemate Signature on the 2g and 3g. Never failed in six falls.

But I like the slimmer tighter feel of the cozip.

There are other good choices too no doubt.

lindstrom

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I really like my Sena Ultra Slim case. Very slim, obviously, discrete and the quality is good.

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
Get an element case

Element_Case_Liquid.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.