Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I googled it but I can't seem to find the right answer since my Camera, Canon powershot SD 880 IS tells me I can probably take around 1833 photos with 8GB card... Is that normal? I search how many photos can 8GB SD card hold and I found some broad answer... I wanted some answer so I posted here! Please help me :D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Depends on the resolution you set your camera at

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
As MD said, it depends. 10 MP is only the beginning. Resolution, amount of data stored on a file, RAW, JPEG, TIFF, RAW+JPEG, etc.

Pop the card into the camera and play with the resolution and file types and see what comes up. A broad answer is best most can give because there are variables that are not yet defined.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Depends on the resolution you set your camera at

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

As MD said, it depends. 10 MP is only the beginning. Resolution, amount of data stored on a file, RAW, JPEG, TIFF, RAW+JPEG, etc.

Pop the card into the camera and play with the resolution and file types and see what comes up. A broad answer is best most can give because there are variables that are not yet defined.

Sorry ;p I just found the chart that shows how many pictures I can store in different cards in the manual book... Thanks again for trying to help me :D

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
As it was said before, it's really difficult to say how much exactly. Thankfully you can get SD cards for cheap so it's very unlikely you will run out of space if you're transferring photos onto your HDD every night or two.

Unless of course you're taking thousands of photos a day. In that case your camera wont last that long.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
ditto for me as well, your best bet is to take photo's in the highest resolution and see how big they are in general. Most cameras also give you a pic count so you should be able to do some basic math. Best bet is to have another one on stand bye or by a large capacity card to begin with. You can get a 4GB card pretty cheap and that should more than tie you over before you can offload onto your CPU or final destination.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Yep depends - My rebel XS (which is a 10 mp DSLR) has an 8 GB card...

On RAW, it does about 795.
On the highest res jpeg, it does about 1650.

Obviously your mileage may vary. But that should be the ballpark I would think?

AFABS

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
definitely a lot...i have a 4 gig and on highest quality, not RAW, it holds a good 800 or so. it's on a canon 40d 10 megapixel btw.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
With RAW the filesize matches the image size pretty much pixel for byte. 10MP ≈ 10MB RAW.

With JPEG it's a lot harder to say exactly because it depends a lot on what you are shooting. Something with large same-coloured areas would in theory take up less space due to them being more efficiently compressed. Looking at a couple of shots I've taken (8MP) I see sizes ranging from 2.5MB to 5.5MB. That's a 3MB difference completely depending on what's shot.

Which is why noone can tell you for sure that you will get X amount of pictures. (Though 8GB should be enough for most things, in my experience.)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I know this may seem like a novel idea, so you might want to get a pen and paper for this.

OK - here it is - TRY READING THE MANUAL

I know, crazy?

On page 69 of the PDF, the manual for your camera gives the expected number of images for an 8 GB card at the different settings. In case you cannot find your manual, here is link to download it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=323&modelid=17626

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.