Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
So I'm looking at upgrading my car stereo to accomodate my iPhone 3GS. Ideally I'm looking for a stereo that will integrate my phone and music into my car speakers. So I stopped by Best buy to see what my options were and this seemed to be the best for cost:

DEH-P6100BT.jpg

This stereo is gonna be about $259 and according to the sales people will do everything I want via bluetooth and usb connection. Also this stereo comes with a separate mic that attaches to the sun visor. So I'm curious has anyone on this board purchased anything they would recommend? anything else that I should be looking for?

Also curious to know what the best iphone car holder/adapter would be. Any recommendations? I know TomTom is coming out with something shortly but I'm not sure if that's going to fit my new incase slider as well. Do the car adapters usually fit an iphone case too?

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
So I'm looking at upgrading my car stereo to accomodate my iPhone 3GS. Ideally I'm looking for a stereo that will integrate my phone and music into my car speakers. So I stopped by Best buy to see what my options were and this seemed to be the best for cost:

DEH-P6100BT.jpg

This stereo is gonna be about $259 and according to the sales people will do everything I want via bluetooth and usb connection. Also this stereo comes with a separate mic that attaches to the sun visor. So I'm curious has anyone on this board purchased anything they would recommend? anything else that I should be looking for?

Also curious to know what the best iphone car holder/adapter would be. Any recommendations? I know TomTom is coming out with something shortly but I'm not sure if that's going to fit my new incase slider as well. Do the car adapters usually fit an iphone case too?

Thanks for posting this info. I'll be sure to check this one out as I'll be in the market for a new car stereo soon myself. I usually buy Alpine but this one looks good.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
The unit will not control track functions via Bluetooth, nor will any unit.
Your best option is to use the connector for control functions. You will get the best audio performance this way.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
The unit will not control track functions via Bluetooth, nor will any unit.
Your best option is to use the connector for control functions. You will get the best audio performance this way.

you mean connect via usb?

it's actually ok for me that the stereo doesn't control my iphone, I don't mind using my phone to track through tracks etc. so the audio quality is better than via usb?

POX

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I´m looking for a car stereo too.

My requests are making calls and acess phonebook over the stereo, and of course the USB port compatible with iPhone and ipod "browser".

The bluetooth AD2P feature only works in one way, the stereo it´s only a receiver and of course it´s battery drain.
The USB port allow acess to all ipod music, podcasts, playlists, etc, and charge the battery.

Untill now these are the contesters, price around 200€:

Sony MEX-BT4700U

28338.jpg

Kenwood KDC-BT8044U

KDC-BT8044U.jpg

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
you mean connect via usb?

it's actually ok for me that the stereo doesn't control my iphone, I don't mind using my phone to track through tracks etc. so the audio quality is better than via usb?

Any wired connection will give you much better audio, with no signal loss or interferance. My experience with Bluetooth and the 3gs has been sometimes good, other times the signal breakup was a real problem. This breakup was from only a foot or two away.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
I have a 2 year old Pioneer Premier DEH-p590ib that has an iPod connector and I can't stand the interface. So keep that in mind. When I plug in the connector, the iPod just says "Pioneer" on its LCD and you can't control music from there. It is incredibly tedious to pick music through the deck itself since it does not have accelerated scrolling like the iPod does. So if you want to pick an artist starting with "M" then you will be scrolling for ages. I usually unplug the iPod to change songs, kind of silly really. But at least it does display song titles, etc, on the deck. Just keep this all in mind. My friend has an Alpine unit and it has buttons to let you jump to certain letters of the alphabet in a list and that is a bit faster.

bigdweeb

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Boston, MA
I've always been an Alpine fan. The last time I looked (about 6 months ago) they had models specifically made for the iPod. Those models don't have any ability to play CDs. They also make dual purpose models too. Both have a high speed cable that connects to their Ai-Net and have the ability to control your iPod from the HU iirc. Might be worth a look.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
I recently had to upgrade my car stereo (my 4 year-old Pioneer died; RIP) and my iPhone played a big role in my decision. I got a Kenwood KDC-X993 and so far I'm very happy with it. The Bluetooth is excellent, and music ain't so bad either. ;) My understanding is that you can play & control music via BT with this unit, but I haven't tried this myself because I keep my iPod attached via the USB interface. If you're really that interested in music through BT, let me know and I'll test it out tonight if I have time or in the morning and get back to you. My only complaints about the system as a whole are 1) the display is TERRIBLE about glare with even the slightest sunlight, and 2) there is a delay of several seconds when it begins playing from the USB (iPod), so every time I get in and turn my key, it takes it several seconds to finish "reading" and start playing. Overall though, it seems a small price to pay to finally have BT.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I have a 2 year old Pioneer Premier DEH-p590ib that has an iPod connector and I can't stand the interface. So keep that in mind. When I plug in the connector, the iPod just says "Pioneer" on its LCD and you can't control music from there. It is incredibly tedious to pick music through the deck itself since it does not have accelerated scrolling like the iPod does. So if you want to pick an artist starting with "M" then you will be scrolling for ages. I usually unplug the iPod to change songs, kind of silly really. But at least it does display song titles, etc, on the deck. Just keep this all in mind. My friend has an Alpine unit and it has buttons to let you jump to certain letters of the alphabet in a list and that is a bit faster.
'

so your iPod just says pioneer when attached via usb? you can't scroll through music on your ipod while connected? I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen with the stereo I mentioned above but I will double check. thanks

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

Is this the case on all Pioneer units?

I am very interested in the Pioneer DEH-3100UB but that would be an absolute deal breaker for me. I do not want to control my iPhone's songs through whatever horrid interface is on the stereo.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I recently had to upgrade my car stereo (my 4 year-old Pioneer died; RIP) and my iPhone played a big role in my decision. I got a Kenwood KDC-X993 and so far I'm very happy with it. The Bluetooth is excellent, and music ain't so bad either. ;) My understanding is that you can play & control music via BT with this unit, but I haven't tried this myself because I keep my iPod attached via the USB interface. If you're really that interested in music through BT, let me know and I'll test it out tonight if I have time or in the morning and get back to you. My only complaints about the system as a whole are 1) the display is TERRIBLE about glare with even the slightest sunlight, and 2) there is a delay of several seconds when it begins playing from the USB (iPod), so every time I get in and turn my key, it takes it several seconds to finish "reading" and start playing. Overall though, it seems a small price to pay to finally have BT.

yeah seems like I'll just use the usb connector since I can re-charge at the same time. So with the usb connector will calls still get through via BT?

Also btw I did see a Kenwood that looked nice as well except it doesn't have a separate mic, not sure if that's really important or not?? This is the Kenwood they have at Bestbuy:

da0f5bd295914458fefc85663e4c8919

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Is this the case on all Pioneer units?

I am very interested in the Pioneer DEH-3100UB but that would be an absolute deal breaker for me. I do not want to control my iPhone's songs through whatever horrid interface is on the stereo.

I don't see why it would do this to the iPhone. Can anyone confirm if this is true?? I agree would be a deal breaker for me as well

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Also curious about car mounts, any body have any recommendations??

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Love my Alpine but it is a double din. I have the cable ran into the center console of my truck. Plug in my iPhone/iPod in the center console and control everything from the touch screen on the Alpine.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
yeah seems like I'll just use the usb connector since I can re-charge at the same time. So with the usb connector will calls still get through via BT?

Also btw I did see a Kenwood that looked nice as well except it doesn't have a separate mic, not sure if that's really important or not?? This is the Kenwood they have at Bestbuy:

da0f5bd295914458fefc85663e4c8919

I'm quite certain the calls would still go through BT (once you pair it that first time, of course) because I know you can charge/sync and still use BT -- it doesn't automatically route calls through the dock like it does music, if that's what you're wondering.

EDIT: Also couldn't stand the single line display. :)

As for the need for a separate mic, mine has one and I can only guess that the lack of one would make it significantly more difficult for the caller to understand you ... just guessing though.

And about that unit ... I personally didn't like that one. I specifically want my connections on the back of the unit so I can route them through a little pocket in my dash, so I didn't look any closer at that one.

I can't recommend a good mount. My cup holder works great. :D

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I'm quite certain the calls would still go through BT (once you pair it that first time, of course) because I know you can charge/sync and still use BT -- it doesn't automatically route calls through the dock like it does music, if that's what you're wondering.

EDIT: Also couldn't stand the single line display. :)

As for the need for a separate mic, mine has one and I can only guess that the lack of one would make it significantly more difficult for the caller to understand you ... just guessing though.

And about that unit ... I personally didn't like that one. I specifically want my connections on the back of the unit so I can route them through a little pocket in my dash, so I didn't look any closer at that one.

I can't recommend a good mount. My cup holder works great. :D

you're referring to the Kenwood I just posted about? so with yours the usb connects from behind? what difference does it make?? don't you still have to connect the same way?

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
you're referring to the Kenwood I just posted about? so with yours the usb connects from behind? what difference does it make?? don't you still have to connect the same way?

Yes, I was referring to the one you just posted the picture of. It's just a personal preference; not a big deal to most. I have a little pocket in my dash right under the stereo unit, and I set my iPod in there. It sits there nicely and I can cover the front of it so it's not visible - it just looks like a flat panel of dash. I don't always want to take my iPod (an ancient one) out and take it with me, so I like being able to just leave it there if I want. I can do this easily because the USB plug comes through that little pocket where everything can be kept out of the eyes of potential thieves. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had a unit with the plug on the front like that. I'd have to either unplug & keep the iPod with me or stash it OR leave it out for all to see. Thus, the plug in the back that comes through the pocket is a must for me, although I understand the one on the front is probably preferred by most.

Sorry for such a long explanation. :) I got the idea that it made absolutely no sense to you as to why I would want the plug in the back, so I tried to explain it as clearly as possible. :)

BatPhone

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
So what everyone is saying is the only way to control your music through the iphone interface is via aux input ? That sucks !

Bluetooth doesnt transmit music well and usb will give control to the headunit interface ? :(

I too was ready to jump tomm :confused:

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Yes, I was referring to the one you just posted the picture of. It's just a personal preference; not a big deal to most. I have a little pocket in my dash right under the stereo unit, and I set my iPod in there. It sits there nicely and I can cover the front of it so it's not visible - it just looks like a flat panel of dash. I don't always want to take my iPod (an ancient one) out and take it with me, so I like being able to just leave it there if I want. I can do this easily because the USB plug comes through that little pocket where everything can be kept out of the eyes of potential thieves. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had a unit with the plug on the front like that. I'd have to either unplug & keep the iPod with me or stash it OR leave it out for all to see. Thus, the plug in the back that comes through the pocket is a must for me, although I understand the one on the front is probably preferred by most.

Sorry for such a long explanation. :) I got the idea that it made absolutely no sense to you as to why I would want the plug in the back, so I tried to explain it as clearly as possible. :)

yeah that makes perfect sense. For me I would prefer to have my iPhone out and to control through it so I guess it's not so important to me.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
So what everyone is saying is the only way to control your music through the iphone interface is via aux input ? That sucks !

Bluetooth doesnt transmit music well and usb will give control to the headunit interface ? :(

I too was ready to jump tomm :confused:

I think that may have happened to some with older iPods but I don't think that anyone has confirmed that that is the case with iPhone via usb. I pretty sure you can still control through the iPhone this way unless some one else can confirm otherwise.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Wow.... I have the Premier (Pioneer) DEH-P510UB.

I can switch between manual and deck control. It works with my iPhone 3G and I have not received any interference from the occasional Edge connection. That used to be a problem with the original iPod interface CD-IB100 that I used with an older deck.

I prefer deck control above using my iPhone in manual mode. It feels much safer. Playlists are my best friend. If I put my iPhone in the iPod program, I can shake to shuffle to add more variety to my static playlists or push the shuffle button on the deck to shuffle all my music (sadly including all videos).

The first real problem I have is that the 3.1 beta no longer communicates to the deck. I'm sure this will be solved in a few weeks by Apple. During the original 3.0 betas there were problems as well. The 3.0 public release does work with my deck.

Go with the Pioneer deck.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Charge iPhone?

Does anyone have any experience if any of these radios will charge the iPhone whilst plugged into the USB port? Since my Clarion FB275BT does not seem to work with the iPhone 3GS for hands free, I am in the market for a new radio, and USB charging would be preferred if any support it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.