Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexus17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Hey everyone,

I've gone insane trying to solve this issue...

Been a member of MobileMe since its launch and have never had a problem with it (well except for those first few weeks during the launch with all the hiccups). With my old 3G, push email would work flawlessly and never miss a beat.

I recently picked up a 3GS, and restored my latest 3G backup to it and began using it as my primary phone. However, I've notice that my email isn't being pushed to me when the phone is sleeping.

I'll open the mail app and suddenly a flurry of emails will flow through from the past couple of hours or whatever.

Anyone else having this issue? Apple is recommending I try doing a full restore, however I'm trying to avoid this (to be frank - I can't be bothered!).

I've tried resetting all the settings, removing the MobileMe account from the phone and trying again. The only time push works is if the phone is awake - put it to sleep for more than 1 minute and push email just stops working... very strange.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JNB

macrumors 604
I went from a 2G to a 3GS, and noticed the same thing. It seems to be mostly corrected on my end, what I did was disabled then re-enabled push on the MM account (Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Advanced).

If that doesn't help, try the Restore. It really isn't that big a deal. Connect, click, go watch TV.

alexmadison

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Johnstown, NY
Apple said push would not only work as a surrogate for most background tasks, but would allow the devices to retain sufficient battery life.

but from a practical perspective, it doesn't feel that different than an email notification or a calendar event. In short, it will help you stay connected, but it won't take the place of true multitasking, and unless Apple finds a less obtrusive notification solution, it could actually create quite a mess. Besides those obvious issues, I'm still not seeing push for the things we really want, namely, Gmail

JNB

macrumors 604
Apple said push would not only work as a surrogate for most background tasks, but would allow the devices to retain sufficient battery life.

but from a practical perspective, it doesn't feel that different than an email notification or a calendar event. In short, it will help you stay connected, but it won't take the place of true multitasking, and unless Apple finds a less obtrusive notification solution, it could actually create quite a mess. Besides those obvious issues, I'm still not seeing push for the things we really want, namely, Gmail

Um, what does any of that have to do with the OP's question?

nexus17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
I went from a 2G to a 3GS, and noticed the same thing. It seems to be mostly corrected on my end, what I did was disabled then re-enabled push on the MM account (Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Advanced).

If that doesn't help, try the Restore. It really isn't that big a deal. Connect, click, go watch TV.

Thanks for the insight. So the problem has now been resolved for you? just needed to turn push on and off via the advanced settings?

Sounds too easy... I'll give it a go but...

nexus17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
JBN your a genius! Problem solved thanks to your help.

I went to the advanced settings like you said, set all the MobileMe settings to Manual - then restarted the phone. Then went back to the advanced settings and put Push back on - and that was it!

Silly bug I must admit... very glad I didnt have to do a full restore - just sounded too drastic.

Thanks again though :) greatly appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.