Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Anyone else's iPhone 3G show the "charging" icon in the battery indicator (the little plug) but fails to go beyond the "red" in the big battery indicator when it's plugged in?

jamisonprawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Yes!! I have exactly the same problem! :(

It seems to be dismounting and then re-mounting randomly while it's plugged in as well.

Have I got a faulty unit??

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Has this problem ever occured in original iphone1's? I dont think so..
this morning so far i have seen so many negative things about 3G iPhone..

oh well, first batches are never perfect -- thats why im waiting for 32GB..

luckystephens

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
I had that problem with the original iPhone. The only work around I found was using a sync cord from one of my iPods and solely charging it through the MacBook. I'm really happy with the 3G.

jamisonprawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I have tried my iPhone cable, as well as an iPod cable. I have tried different Powerbooks to charge it... nohting works.

I have done a restore too... but to no avail.

Me thinks it's time for a trip to the Genius Bar. Crossing my fingers for a replacement unit.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
It works/charges on my MBA, not my PC.

It syncs/mounts fine on my PC, just does not charge.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Friend's 3G charges on my PC with the same cable. Black instead of white, newer firmware (*7) instead of *5, his week 28 to my week 24.

It doesn't work after this Restore, I am going to go to the North Michigan Avenue store to get an exchange.

an-engnr

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
same problem here too

I have the same problem too. I leave the phone (iPhone 3G) plugged into my computer using the provided sync cable for hours. The whole time, the charging indicator will be on, but when I disconnect, I'm down to little (10%) or no battery (shuts off and displays the battery icon).

Really frustrating -- didn't want to waste ANOTHER day at the apple store, and having dropped a whole bunch of cash (actually credit -- the Apple store doesn't take cash!?!) this weekend to buy the thing, really didn't expect to have to trek back there.

I want to love the phone, but combined with the fact that my existing music docks don't work with the thing, the underwhelming 3G coverage area, terrible battery life, etc.), I'm having a tough time. I'll work on it, though -- hope Apple will work with me :)

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
were yours week 24s? i did not have to wait in line today - about 15 mins in Apple to exchange for a new week 28 white 16GB iPhone 3G :)

skiez

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Iphone 3G, Batter not charging at all.

I also have the same problem. The problem wasn't as bad as it is now when it started to happen couple weeks ago. The battery is totally empty out because I am unable to charge it up; it keeps showing the charging icon in the battery indicator and will never go beyond the "red" (regardless of how long I leave it on for charging). Once I unplug the phone, "the little plug icon" start to appear telling me that the phone is currently unplug and the battery indicator blanks out (the red zone disappear).

I've tried to reset the phone simultaneously, but so far have found no luck to get the Apple Icon back up.

Does anyone has any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Skiez,

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I have the same issue with both of my 3G phones, says its fully charged, but it stops charging and is not 100%

Attachments

• photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,061

mrsixcount

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Same thing here

I switched to the power pack from the plug in the wall and the MPB and it turned off the phone and when I went back it did a reset and was charging again. I'm on my second 3G since the first one ended up not charging at all. I was still in the year of the apple care though so they exchanged it.

huxley

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2001
Chicago
Yep, same exact issue.

Having the exact same issue with my five-day old 3GS. The phone just shut itself of, and will not turn back on - even if plugged into an AC outlet. Screen says it's charging and shows one small thin red line, and even after leaving plugged in for four hours theres no more charge than that. Phone is also not being recognized by iTunes. I've been charging and using/syncing since Saturday, and now jsut tonight this problem shows up.

Dammit, and I just replaced my original 2G iPhone.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I THINK I had the same problem with my phone. But it wasn't nearly as bad as you guy's above. My phone use to show that but not really in the red zone, but more about half way. But I was told by someone on here that it was because my phone was too hot. And I guess it was true because as soon as I would put it to sleep and stop using it while it charged, it would go back to normal.

Now that I type it out, it doesn't seem to be the same problem, but thoght I would share.

miphonequest

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
iphone 3gs not charging

I have the same problem my iphone 3gs show the "charging" icon in the battery indicator but the battery is actually not charging. tried all sorts of charging through pc/wall socket. just not working.

I was using a car charger, belkin fm transmitter suddenly it restarted itself after an hour in belkin. Now its dead cant charge or open.

my question is! could it be short circuit????? if short circuit would the phone still operate on the battery until it drains out????

LoNgHoRnS

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Possible Fix

If your like me than your iPhone is your most prized posetion and you really need it fixed, well one solution that worked for me was to try plugging my iPhone into my computer, and check iTunes to see if it was truly damaged, I soon figured it wasn't seeing as under devices my iPhone was there and also had the charging symbol beside it, turned out I had switched 'hide battey elements' in my Supreme Preferences to 'on' and this was causing me to not be able to see the charge symbol in the top right corner, feel the vibrate, nor see my battey percentage increase but decrease when I plugged it into any charging source. If you plug your iPhone into your computer and notice iTunes not opening you should send your iPhone back to apple. I once had to return mine due to a stress fracture and they gladly replaced my phone for free, within two days I had a brand new iPhone.

fatin0312

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
same here...but i somehow get through it

i got the same problem, it show charging sign but it just stuck there...
the problem with my 3g is that, the charger cannot fix correctly with the 3g, so i clean up the bottom dock connector at my 3g and after that, i can charge my 3g as usual. hopefully this help

monogram7

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
3g charging problem

I have a 3g, and it has had its share of problems. I do this when the charger stops at 1% and sticks there.

I power it off completely by pressing the off button and holding the home key down until it is totally off.

2. I remove the sim card

3. I reboot without the sim card

4. I sleep it

5. I put the sim card in

6. I wake it and usually it goes up to whatever "real" charge level the battery actually has.

I think one of the problems is that a connector is loose. I remember not getting a positive "click" when re-connecting a connector and it would just kind of "fall off" if I pulled it. So I just got it to stay as best I could then closed up the phone (during installation of a new battery) and it powered up fine, but I think sometimes the connectors get abused by service-people who are not gentle with them. They force them and damage them a little so they do not remain connected or are lose - causing shorts etc.

Replacement parts for connectors are expensive - like my Toyota Prius (had the same problem with that battery monstrosity too. LOL

Good luck mates! Enjoy the next generation iPhone. I'm selling this one soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.