Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
NYC
I'm setting up a Mac Mini as a media server in our living room, hooked up to our flatscreen TV and home stereo. I've just purchased a gorgeous diNovo Edge, bluetooth keyboard to control it. I'm psyched.

The thing is that my wife would really like to also be able to sit down at the small office desk, at the back of our living room, and use her 17" display with the Mini as well, for times when she doesn't want to power up the big LCD or when somebody else is watching TV.

The exact run would be about 40 feet. I've already got a CAT5 cable that takes that route. What might be the least expensive way to get signal to that 17" monitor, across the room? The Mini is the last generation, with just one video output.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
For quality, if your TV or amp has optical audio in, you could run a Toslink cable from your mac mini to the unit.

If quality isn't the greatest concern, you could get a minijack-RCA adapter, and run RCA cables to your TV. If you pay a bit more, you'll get cables with shielding as to avoid electrical interference.

Goop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
NYC
I'm all set with the sound. The mini will be in the home entertainment center connected to both our surround sound system via optical, and to the stereo via mini jack or a USB audio interface (if I can't figure out how to get both connections from the one, native connector).

My only concern is getting a fairly simple mirror display to the 17" LCD monitor on the other side of the room for when the TV is in use.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Put monitor in car, drive car to dodgy neighborhood, get out of car, leave unlocked, watch from the corner of the street.

You'll see your monitor run, if not sprint out of that car in the mitts of some downtrodden individual.

Get another Mac - then you can use screen sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.