Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowazzgolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I have been using VLC for a number of years with no problem.

All of a sudden it is freezing my whole computer when playing a .avi file

I tried getting the latest version of VLC from 0.8.6i to 0.9.8 but that did not fix it

my specs are:

MacBook Aluminum
2.0GHz
4GB RAM
500GB Western Digital Scorpion Blue HD

Chansey

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
My VLC stutters when wathcing in versions newer than 0.8.6i.

0.9.9 did not fix it.

Very interesting that we have the same specs. Might have something to do with that!

MB Unibody 2.0
4GB Ram (Crucial)
500GB Seagate Momentus 5400

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
I've had that issue before, and it turned out VLC didn't have the proper codec installed.

Do you both have Perian installed? If you do, then I don't know. If you don't, you might want to try it out. It's free!

http://perian.org/

growlgrowl

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Same problem

Occasionally when watching a video file (usually an avi) the picture will stutter momentarily. Then it will stutter later on (sometimes around 45 minutes) and the picture will freeze but the sound continues.

I have to close down the video window then play the video again from the point it stopped.

I don't remember VLC doing this before but it does it every time I watch a video now.

I always use install the latest updates of VLC.

Ggrrrrrrrr

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Oddly enough, I experienced my first VLC freeze today, after several months without any issues whatsoever. Today, the movie clip I watched played fine, but VLC froze with a beachball when I quit it (Cmd-Q). I had to force quit it, finally. I am using version 0.9.9 (Intel).

Kroghen

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Occasionally when watching a video file (usually an avi) the picture will stutter momentarily. Then it will stutter later on (sometimes around 45 minutes) and the picture will freeze but the sound continues.

I have to close down the video window then play the video again from the point it stopped.

I don't remember VLC doing this before but it does it every time I watch a video now.

I always use install the latest updates of VLC.

Ggrrrrrrrr

I have the exact same issue... And I don't remember it doing it before, it just suddenly started...

Vere annoying

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I've experience the same beach ball freeze as well.
VLC Version 0.9.9a
Mid 09 macbook pro 2.8

Actually, since I've installed VLC, i've experience the beach ball freeze on Firefox and Photoshop CS4, but I can't prove that it is related....

growlgrowl

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Haunted VLC

Mine has been working fine for the last few weeks or so without making any changes!!!

Very strange!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.